Class on Hobo Day Friday: why it should be canceled

GARRETT+AMMESMAKI

GARRETT AMMESMAKI

Joy Dahle

With a full week of tradition and amped up school spirit, Hobo Week has become a strange concoction of energy, excitement and sleep deprivation. While scheduling the week out, there’s an increased amount of school-sponsored events, but the excitement running across campus is dampened by the overload of work students are facing.

With a week of high-level stress and late-night studying, a weekend of tradition and fun is more than welcome — if students are able to stay awake for it.

Students who have class on Friday may have difficulty feeling included in some of the festivities, as late afternoon and evening classes can cause conflict.

It used to be tradition for classes to be canceled after 10 a.m. during Hobo Week.

So why don’t we continue that? I’m not sure many students would object to revamping this tradition because having an extra day off would allow students to participate more in the events without the stress of thinking about coursework. I truly believe it would bring a greater school spirit and unity throughout the college.

Many students want to participate in the week’s activities, but find themselves instead studying for Friday tests, making the weekend the prime time when students can truly begin to amp up the energy and get involved.

Having an extra day off before the game would allow students and faculty alike to have a greater active participation in the Hobo Day events.

Students would be able to spend more time forming the connections that makes the SDSU experience unique and makes Hobo Day embody the feeling of coming home, both now and after graduation for many.

Whether catching up on much-needed sleep or preparing your hobo outfit, an extra day aids in allowing everyone on campus to get more involved.

Canceling Friday classes would come as a warm welcome to students already exhausted by a week of late-night library trips and midterm testing, and bring an even greater energy to increase the feeling of coming home that makes our tradition one to be carried throughout generations.

Joy Dahle is a mechanical engineering major and can be reached at [email protected].