Homelycoming returns for third year during Hobo Week

MIRANDA SAMPSON
MIRANDA SAMPSON Mr. and Ms. Homelycoming participants learn the opener dance choreography at their dress rehearsal Tuesday, Oct. 9 in preparation for the Mr. and Ms. Homelycoming competition competition in the Performing Arts Center at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10.

Rise and shine Jackrabbits, it’s Hobo Week. Thankfully for us, arguably one of the most entertaining events of the week, Mr. and Ms. Homelycoming, is back for its third year.

This year, the pageant-like competition, which involves women dressing like men and vice versa, will have workout, talent and swimsuit events.

The pageant will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10 in the Performing Arts Center.

“This year is going to be wild and a good time,” said University Programs Counsel Special Events Coordinator Lisa Lommen. “It’s going to be very entertaining. I already got one of the bios back from one of the contestants and it is absolutely hilarious.”

One of those contestants, sophomore music education major Cade Bruna, will be competing for the second year in a row.

“I am actually really looking forward to participating for my second time because I will actually have an idea of what is going on,” Bruna said.

Originally, Bruna wanted to compete in Mr. and Ms. Homelyoming as a freshman because of his interest in makeup and drag. He felt the university was providing a great opportunity.

However, he quickly realized that not only did the competition allow him to show off his talents and passion, it also got him more involved in campus activities as well as broadened his friend group.

“The best part about being involved is having so many people recognize you as well as actually getting to know and see so many familiar faces around campus,” Bruna said. “Honestly, the best way to extend your social circle is to participate in literally anything on campus.”

While there are many returning participants, there are also some who are new to the competition, like sophomore early education major Elise Holcomb.

“I saw it for the first time last year and I thought to myself ‘I could do this,’ but I was scared,” Holcomb said. “My friends told me I should do it and now here we are.”

Even though this is way outside her comfort zone, Holcomb said the best part about being involved so far has been getting to know the other contestants.

The event isn’t just about meeting new people. Leading up to the show there are rehearsals and each contestant prepares their own skits around their stage personality for the night.

“There aren’t really any rules,” Lommen said. “They can make it however they want it and really tailor it to whomever their stage persona is.”

However, you will have to check out the show for yourself in order to find out exactly who each contestant decides to be for the night as they compete for the crown.

“Everyone should come because it’s such a hobo tradition and everyone should experience it at least once,” Lommen said.