Fun spots around town for whole family to visit

KIRSTEN+BAROTT
Kirsten Barott
KIRSTEN BAROTT

It’s Thursday night and the phone rings. It’s your mom.

She says your family is coming tomorrow for Family Weekend and can’t wait to see what you have been up to. Instantly panicking like any new (or old) college student might, a million questions spring to mind; one being: What are we going to do for two days that everyone will like?

Here is a list of the best places to go to in Brookings that will please anyone so you can concentrate on purging your room of week-old pizza boxes and beer cans.

Nick’s Hamburger Shop: Not only does this place have some of the best burgers for miles, but it also has a fun, family-friendly atmosphere. This Brookings staple won’t disappoint. With single burgers starting at just $2, it won’t break the bank either.

“It’s a restaurant that is so different from anything you’ve ever been to before, which makes it more fun and memorable for the whole family,” junior interior design major Bailey Sanken said.

Due to the fact that Nick’s is so busy, it can be hard to find a spot to sit inside, so taking the food to go and heading over to one of the parks in town — such as Larson or Northbrook — adds some extra fun.

Children’s Museum: This one is specific to the younger people in your life, however, there’s a little something for everyone here. The Children’s Museum, which is located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Kidoodle Way, is a great place for younger kids to burn off some energy and let their creativity run wild.

The cafe serves lunch and breakfast and is open to the general public as well. It offers different types of salads, pasta, sandwiches, omelets and waffles. There are places to climb, paint, build and learn, and I promise, you’ll quickly become their favorite sibling if you take them here.

McCrory Gardens: With 25 acres of beautiful trees and flowers, McCrory Gardens is the perfect place for the whole family to explore and take pictures.

“There are so many activities and beautiful trails that make it enjoyable for the whole family while you spend quality time together,” Sanken said.

Adults can get in for $4, children from the ages of 6-15 cost $2, children under 5 get in free and students get in for free with their student ID.

There are 14 formal gardens which will all be popping with fall colors, plus a rock garden with a waterfall. This spot is a crowd pleaser that also gets everyone out in nature and having fun.

Downtown Shops: While shopping is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, there is so much going on downtown in general that no one will be bored. Downtown is filled with boutiques, coffee shops, antique stores, restaurants, breweries and other unique stores. A few great places are j.ella Boutique, which has cute clothes and shoes, Country Peddler and Trendz, which are both consignment shops and Jackrabbit Central, which has tons of unique Jackrabbit gear.

“There is a lot of variety of clothes and other cute things [at Country Peddler],”  junior journalism major Natalie Morris said. “Downtown also has a great atmosphere that everyone will be able to enjoy.”

Outdoor Adventure Center: While some members of the family hit the downtown shopping scene, the rest can check out the Outdoor Adventure Center. This facility has an impressive Olympic-length archery range and shooting gallery. There is a firearm rental program available, so you don’t have to worry about bringing your own rifles. There’s also Archery Tag, which is a fun mix of dodgeball, paintball and archery.