STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION BRIEF

Senators approve new club, Hobo Day Committee addresses senate
Greta Goede
Hobo Day Committee addresses senate about upcoming events at the Monday Students’ Association meeting

Students’ Association Senators approved a new club on campus that will focus on competitive disc golf.  

Leif Bredeson a senior electrical engineering major from Darlington, Wisconsin, addressed the senate to get a competitive disc golf club on campus.  

“…We aim to get competitive players and casual players together to create a disc golf club community on campus,” Bredeson said.  

The motion was taken to a roll call vote and the club was approved. From here the club needs to get approval from Jennifer Novotny, senior director – student actives.  

If students are interested in joining, they can contact Bredeson through his student email.  

Other Business

This year’s Grand Pooba Marissa Vogt and other members of the Hobo Day Committee addressed the senate to talk about Hobo Week coming up next week. The committee will be tabling in the union this week and Hobo Day merchandise is now available in the bookstore.  

This Thursday is hobo gear prep night in the Breezeway of the Volstorff Ballroom. John Petersen, events assistant Pooba said Goodwill has been saving clothes for this event since November. The event will also have needles and pins for students to put patches and other accessories on their clothes.  

Bum-A-Meal is happening Monday, Oct. 9. The signup went live at 8 a.m. Monday and was already at half capacity by 7 p.m. that night.  

“If you want to get signed up for that personally or if you know friends who want to get signed up, please do that soon,” Petersen said.  

The committee discussed the details about more events like Bum-Over that will be Tuesday Oct. 10 in the Student Union and the Bum-Fire which will be Thursday Oct. 12 behind the football stadium. Rally at the Rails will be Wednesday Oct. 11 from 5 to 9 p.m. in Downtown Brookings.  

The Hobo Day Parade Saturday Oct. 14, has 51 student entries, 34 community entries, eight bands registered and 27 dignitaries that have RSVP’d.  

The committee is still looking for security and transportation volunteers. Students who are interested can sign up through the Linktree on the Hobo Day Committee’s social media.  

Student Organization Reports  

The American Indian Students’ Association will have beading circle for beginners Wednesday Oct. 4 from 4-6 p.m. in the art room of the American Indian Student Center.  

The Gender and Sexuality Alliance is preparing for National Coming Out Day. The organization is also preparing their Hobo Day float and discussed their annual drag show that is a little more than a month out.  

The Unified Council talked about their upcoming All Greek Formal at Old Sanctuary happening Nov. 3 from 7 to 11 p.m. 

University Program Council reported that the Cancer Awareness 5K had over 60 participants and raised over $500 for the American Cancer Society and Make-A-Wish. Next week the organization is hosting the Mulligan Stew Cook-Off Tuesday, Oct. 10 from 7 to 10 p.m. in the union and Jacks Got Talent Friday, Oct. 13 in the Performing Arts Center starting at 6 p.m.  

Unfinished Business

Senators voted on Commemoration 23-1-C. The commemoration was for Mr. Jay Molock, Multicultural Student Success adviser for African American students in the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Accessibility.  

Mr. Jay has aided the Black Students Alliance and helped coordinated the first MLK Marade in South Dakota  

“Only over a little over a year at SDSU Mr. Jay has unequivocally impacted the students of SDSU to a great degree,” Hannah Dayaget, communications chair said.  

The commemoration was taken to a roll call vote and was approved.