Museum after dark leaves its mark

Mara Wheaton

Students (right to left) Sydney Huffman, Althena Bjorback and Emily Cole pretend veterinarians in the “Whiskers & Tails” room. The name of the stuffed dog went unknown, but the (pretend) vets are positive there will be a quick recovery for the pet.

Mara Wheaton, Lifestyles Editor

Friday, April 21, the Children’s Museum of South Dakota hosted “Museum After Dark,” an event curated towards kids-at-heart over 21 years old. The museum transformed from a playground and learning center of excitement to a building of discovery, booze and nostalgia.

Tickets were available to purchase online prior to the event and at the door. The event saw high traffic as the evening began at 7 p.m., after the museum’s regular hours. Lines spanned from the front entrance of the building to the parking lot, some patrons waiting for as long as 30 minutes to receive admission.

Since the event was exclusively 21-and-up, people had the option to purchase $6 drink tickets for alcoholic beverages or $2 drink tickets for pop and water.

Drink selection included wines, White Claw, Twisted Tea, select beers and non-alcoholic beverages.

The Children’s Museum partnered with Wooden Legs Brewing Company to set up stations where they provided WLBC craft beer.

Attendees were able to immerse themselves in different exhibits, including Cloud Climber, Splash! and Airway Adventure. Guests could also participate in crafting bracelets and drawings in the Art Studio and playing pretend in the Market Fresh Grocery market.

The event attracted hundreds of adults, with some of them never having been to the Children’s Museum before.

SDSU graduate student Eliza Carlson said she’s never been to the museum before, even though she’s lived in Brookings for four years. Carlson said the event was really fun. 

Along with exploring the different exhibits, there were interactive games led by Children’s museum employees and volunteers like cornhole, supermarket sweep, scavenger hunts and Light Bright pictionary.

Helping supervise activities was the current Miss SDSU Katherine Milbrandt.

“I feel like this is a good time especially for college kids to get out and relax and de-stress before finals…I think it’s perfect,” Milbrandt said.