SA President publicly apologizes after arrest

Staff Reporters

Students’ Association President Nicholas Grote issued a public apology Thursday evening, which was sent to Collegian staff members. The letter is in response to his arrest Sunday, April 16 on charges of underage possession of alcohol and possession of a fictitious identification.

“Every sentence there I carefully crafted because I meant it; It is a sincere apology,” Grote said in a phone call with The Collegian. “I wanted to make sure it is known that everything that is said is sincere. I take full responsibility and I am very truly sorry. I want to do the best I can for the students.”

Grote also said he plans to address the Senate during the Monday, April 24 meeting to apologize in person.

“I do think this apology is in order for the Senate as well because it’s good to hear that personally from me,” he said.

At this time, it is unclear whether Grote’s arrest and charges violate the Students’ Association code of ethics. The Collegian reached out to one of SA’s advisers, Vice President of Student Affairs Michaela Willis, for clarification Tuesday afternoon. Willis did not have a comment. 

Grote is scheduled to appear in court at 9 a.m. May 15 and says he does not know how he will plead.

The letter is attached below:

Greetings SDSU community, 

I want to express my deepest apologies for my recent actions. I was placed under arrest in the very early morning hours of April 16 for underage possession of alcohol and possession of fictitious identification. I understand that my behavior was completely unacceptable, and It was not in line with the expectations people have as the Students’ Association President.

I take full responsibility for my actions and will work to be better for the future. I will accept any punishments or service to the community as a result of the legal process. I have made a mistake, and I have most definitely learned from it.

As President of the Students’ Association, my plan moving forward is to continue to uphold students to the highest level of care, and to continue to work with them to achieve their greatest dreams for this University. 

Again, I am truly sorry for what has occurred, and I will work tirelessly to make things right. 

Sincerely, 

Nicholas Grote 

Students’ Association President