2023 Ag Day spreads awareness through speakers, club events

Alyssa Berentschot, Reporter

The 2023 Ag Day is April 12 this year, but events start April 11 and go through April 13. There are many agriculture-related activities that go on during this three-day event, including a meatball cook-off challenge, club tabling in the Student Union, a banquet and more.  

The goal of Ag Day is to share the positive story of agriculture and celebrate the hardworking people who produce the world’s food, said Mary Christensen, Prexy Council coordinator and coordinator of agriculture leadership, education, communication and science. 

“Ag Day is our celebration of all things agriculture, both on campus and throughout the region,” said Mitchell VanderWal, a sophomore animal science major who is also the Prexy Council chair of Ag Day. “It’s a great way to celebrate the CAFES (college of agriculture, food and environmental sciences) and bring in sponsors as future employers.” 

To kick off Ag Day, there will be a meatball cook-off challenge April 11, where student organizations have an opportunity to show off their meatball cooking skills.

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. there will be several clubs tabling in the Student Union to share information about their organizations and events.

April 12 there is a Mid-Western Showcase from 2:15 to 3:30 p.m. This fashion show is an opportunity for people to show off their best ag-themed clothing.

The main event is the awards banquet held Wednesday night at 5:30 p.m. The banquet will be in the Volstorff Ballroom in the Student Union.

At the banquet, a free meal will be served, and Dan Venteicher, also known as “Dan the Iowa Dairy Farmer,” will give a keynote address. Venteicher is active on social media sites like TikTok where he focuses on helping and reaching out toward people that don’t know a lot about the agriculture industry.

“I went to the Ag Day banquet last year and had a blast,” said Kaylee Kroger, a sophomore agriculture education major. “I love that I have an opportunity to listen to a great keynote speaker, while also getting a great meal.”  

Ag Day visitors can also receive free shirts throughout the day.

“In terms of the event itself, I also love the Ag Day T-shirt tradition,” Christensen said. “Walking across campus seeing others sport the same shirt creates a powerful visual representation of the number of students and staff supporting the industry.” 

April 13 features a quiz bowl, which covers everything agriculture related for students to get involved with.  

“I love the comradery of students, faculty and guests at Ag Day,” VanderWal said.