April event targets cancer

Mara Wheaton, Lifestyles Editor

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, but the Brookings Colorectal Cancer Awareness Program is working throughout the spring to help local residents learn more about risk factors and prevention.

BCCAP is a project launched in 2021 and led by public relations and advertising students from the South Dakota State University School of Communication and Journalism. It strives to educate people on colorectal cancer risk factors and inspire them to live healthy, preventive lifestyles. 

This year, the Brookings Colorectal Cancer Awareness Program is hosting its first-ever Bum Bash from 6 to 7:30 p.m. April 3 in the Volstorff Ballroom at the SDSU Student Union. 

Admission to the event is free, but the main event is a team relay, which runs from 6:30 to 7 p.m. To participate in the relay, there is a $10 team entry fee, which is part of BCCAP’s fundraising for Brookings Health System. Attendees also can walk through a 20-foot inflatable colon, enter a gift basket drawing and meet Captain Colon, the BCCAP mascot.

Bum Bash sponsors are Brookings Health System, Culligan Water, Schadé, American Wingshooting Lodge, Muth Electric, First Bank & Trust, Summit Contracting Inc., The Mark Kasten Agency for State Farm and Brookings Radio.

“Our goal for this campaign is to promote open conversations about colorectal cancer,” Kallie Theisen, BCCAP event coordinator, said. “We want to decrease the stigma surrounding colorectal cancer and encourage people to #HaveTheOTHERtalk with their families and friends.” 

In 2022, the Brookings Colorectal Cancer Awareness Program donated more than $800 to Brookings Health System.

“Monies raised help Brookings Health spread awareness within our community about the importance of regular colorectal cancer screening,”  Julia Yoder, marketing and PR director at Brookings Health System, said. “Brookings Health System and our Foundation are grateful for the funds BCCAP raises in support of colorectal cancer awareness.” 

To learn more about BCCAP visit their website at www.brookingsccap.org. or follow them on Facebook and Instagram.