Newman Center puts on country street dance

Emma Waage, Reporter

The Pope Pius XII Newman Center hosted a country street dance last Friday to give SDSU students a place to meet each other and introduce them to what the center has to offer.

The event was outside by the Newman Center parking lot and sported lights, big speakers, and a playlist made in advance to kick out country songs.

Swing dancing and line dancing were popular and done in a way to allow students to have a good time and meet new people. 

“It is always a good time,” Natalie Kruger, a sophomore sports and recreation management major, said. “I’m glad we have events like this, especially at the Newman, because it gives us an opportunity to hang out outside of a religious setting and just have fun with each other.”

According to Luke Carr, a Newman Center ambassador, the event was made possible by the Newman Center, which budgeted enough money to rent the parking lot, while having the UPD there.

“The dance is like a promotional piece for the Newman Center,” Carr said.

The center hopes to promote its profile on campus by hosting such events.

“We hope that students will gain friends, have fun and promote the Newman Center,” Meg Sheehan, student life coordinator, said.

According to Sheehan, the Newman Center tries to put on at least one to two events a month so students can get to know each other and grow in fellowship together.  

“My favorite part of this event is that the community all gets together to have a good time,” said Jasmine Schilling, a sophomore human development and family studies major. “Even if you don’t have much experience with swing dancing, people are open to teach you.”

The Newman Center put on the same country street dance last fall and planned to do another street dance in the past spring but it was rained out.

Event planners have hopes to host another country street dance in the spring and again in the fall of 2023.