ABC News Chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl confirmed as featured guest for Daschle Dialogues

Mara Wheaton and Brina Sturm

Jonathan Karl, ABC News chief Washington correspondent, has been confirmed as a featured guest for the Daschle Dialogues series at South Dakota State University. 

Karl has covered the White House under four presidents for ABC News from December 2012 through January 2021 and is the current co-anchor of “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.” Karl has broad experience covering Congress, foreign policy, the military and eight presidential elections. In addition to his White House reporting, Karl is the author of two New York Times bestsellers: “Front Row at the Trump Show” and “Betrayal: The Final Act of the Trump Show.”

The event is Sept. 25 at the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center. There will be no cost for the event as it is underwritten by private donations to the Senator Thomas A. Daschle Congressional Research Study through the SDSU Foundation.

Students can purchase tickets online starting at 9 a.m. Aug. 24 at https://www.sdstate.edu/daschle-dialogues/daschle-dialogue-tickets. Tickets will be limited to two per person.

Karl has won numerous awards including the Walter Cronkite Award for National Individual Achievement and the National Press Foundation’s Everett McKinley Dirksen Award, the highest honor for Congressional reporting. 

The event serves as an opportunity for students to learn from a journalist that credits his passion for history and journalism to his adolescent years spent growing up in the Black Hills. While living in two adjoining motel rooms in Hill City, his mother and stepfather conducted an oral history for the University of South Dakota, interviewing the men who worked to create Mount Rushmore.

“The School of American and Global Studies is thrilled to see the return of the Daschle Dialogues. This important lecture series brings nationally relevant figures to SDSU’s campus to thoughtfully discuss pressing issues at the heart of the American experience,” Christi Garst-Santos, the school’s director, said to News @SDState. “Having such a distinguished alumnus as Senator Daschle (’69, political science) is always an honor, but the unique opportunity he has provided to routinely host prominent politicians, historians and journalists is life-changing for our students.”

The Daschle Dialogues

Daschle Dialogues is the public series of the Senator Thomas A. Daschle Congressional Research Study. Daschle, a 1969 SDSU graduate, selected SDSU to preserve his official papers and items from his 26-year career in Congress. He was the Senate Democratic Leader from 1995 to 2005, including time as both majority and minority leader. Daschle’s papers have been the basis for research by SDSU faculty, scholars and students.

“I have a great deal of admiration for Jonathan Karl as a professional and look forward to hearing his perspective on today’s political climate and the lessons from history that may provide context for what we face today,” Daschle said to News @SDState.

For more information about Daschle Dialogues, email Brittany Peterson at the SDSU Foundation.