Meet the Little I executive team

Front row, from left: Dalton Hower, COdy Gifford, Grady Gullickson, Logan Tesch. Middle row: Adrienne Lipinski, Zoey Schentzel, Cara Teigum, Sadie VanderWal, Tessa Herman, Anna Karrels. Back row: Karmen Sperr, Nathan Linke, Trevor Frost, Emmitt Bickett, Evan Wittry, Aaron Linke, Leona Meyer.

Chloe Risse, Reporter

It takes a lot of time, commitment and volunteers to run the “largest student-run two-day agriculture exposition in the country.” Over 150 South Dakota State University students make up the 99th Little International staff. That figure doesn’t include all the helpful hands that are working behind the scenes. The Little International staff members spoke about their experiences and why they are helping to carry on the tradition.

Little International activities began Monday, March 22. There are numerous activities throughout the week and weekend, including a “Dance in the Chips” on Wednesday from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. The week will conclude with many competitions and livestock judging, which is held Friday and Saturday. 

GRADY GULLICKSON, MANAGER

Hometown: Flandreau, SD

Major: Animal Science

Why did you choose to be involved in Little International?

“I wanted to help put on the largest two-day student-run livestock exposition. I had family and friends that were involved with it as well.”

What are you looking forward to the most at Little I?

“I’m looking forward to seeing over 160 participants showing on the green chips, as well as having roughly 1600 FFA/4-H students back on campus.”

CODY GIFFORD, ASSISTANT MANAGER

Hometown: Arco, MN

Major: Ag Science

“I got involved with Little I when coming to college because I attended every year for FFA throughout high school. I thought it was an amazing event. My sister was also involved with it and encouraged me to get involved because of all the great times she had.”

How have you been involved in Little I in the past?

“In high school, I participated in the CDE competitions, and last year I was [on] staff as assistant safety officer.”

LOGAN TESCH, SECRETARY

Hometown: Henderson, MN

Major: Animal Science and Ag Business

“I attended Little I as a junior in high school, and I had a great time, so I wanted to continue the experience as a part of the staff.”

What is your advice to students on campus who want to be involved in Little I next year?

“Next year will be the 100th Little I, so it will be an experience in itself. Take a shot at something you’d like to do on staff or branch out to show an animal you might not be familiar with at the annual livestock drawing.”

ANNA KARELS, ASSISTANT SECRETARY

Hometown: Norwood Young America, MN

Major: Animal Science and Agronomy

“I chose to be a part of Little I because of the atmosphere. I love how it brings new and old students back to the arena to get together for a great show. Before coming to college, I also wanted to be a part of Little I because I had only heard great things about it. Now being in college, I still only have great things to say. It is a great opportunity to grow in knowledge about agriculture and to meet more people who share that same passion.”

“I am looking forward to it finally being back to a normal Little I. It will be great to not have a limited number of people in the arena. I am excited for all the 4-H and FFA members to be back on campus and the arena to be full of smiling faces.”

DALTON HOWE, TREASURER

Hometown: Redfield, SD 

Major: Agronomy

“I am involved with Little International because I heard a lot about it in high school and was very involved with judging in the FFA contest. Now I am able to give back and do my part with helping put on Little I while I am in college.”

How have you been involved in Little International in the past?

“I have been involved with Little I in the past with being both the agronomy judging assistant superintendent and agronomy judging superintendent. The past two years, I have been the assistant treasurer and now the 99th Little I treasurer. I was also lucky enough to show my first animal ever at Little I as a freshman, where I showed a pig, which was a great experience, and I highly encourage anyone who has never shown before to try it at Little I.”

EMMETT BICKETT, ASSISTANT TREASURER

Hometown: Worthington, MN

Major: Animal Science and Ag Business

“I chose to be part of Little I to be part of an organization that was bigger than myself and work with fellow students towards a common goal.”

What is your advice to anyone wanting to be involved in Little I next year?

“My recommendation for anyone that wants to be more involved is to reach out and give it a try! There are multiple levels of responsibility and roles to fit everyone’s skills and desires. If being on staff is not for you, though, showing an animal is a great way to learn about the industry and take on a once in a lifetime opportunity.”