Christmas activities in the area

McKenzie Mockler, Reporter

Snow is falling, lights are going up and spirit is in the air. Christmas time is around the corner, and the Brookings area has events scheduled all season long. Join the community by attending the Christmas celebrations with the community.

Madrigal Dinner

The holiday season would not be the same without the holiday cuisines. Enjoy a holiday feast while listening to the SDSU Concert Choir. The dinner will include music, a show and a delightful holiday meal.

DATE: Dec. 3, 4 and 5

TIME: Dec. 3 – 4, at 7 p.m.

Dec. 5, at 5 p.m.

LOCATION: Volstorff Ballroom in

SDSU’s student union          

FEES/ADMISSION:

$52 for a tickets

$500 for preferred seating

McCrory Gardens Garden Glow

This year, McCrory Gardens will be hosting the 7th annual Garden Glow. Walk through a winter wonderland of lights in McCrory Gardens. The garden crew has been working hard year-round for this event. All ages can gather outdoors and walk through the lights together. According to the director, Lisa Marotz, this event is where people can come to find surprise, sanctuary and love during the holiday season.

“We like to serve and be here, so people have a place to come and forget about real life,” said Marotz. “The Garden Glow is designed for pure enjoyment, and it brings people together during the holiday season.”

DATE: Dec. 4, 2021 – Jan. 6, 2022

(Excluding Dec. 24, 25, 2021 and Jan.

1, 2022)

TIME:

Open nightly from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.

(Last admission nightly at 8:30 p.m.)

LOCATION:

McCrory Gardens

631 22nd Ave

Brookings, SD 57007

FEES/ADMISSION:

Tickets need to be purchased in

advance

General Admission- $6

Children 5 and under – FREE

Friends of McCrory Garden

Members- FREE

SDSU Students with Current ID –

FREE (no advance ticket required)

For more information go to the

McCrory Gardens Facebook page.

Brookings Festival of Lights Parade

The Brookings Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting the 26th annual parade of lights festival. The theme this year is Holiday in the Tropics. Join the community in downtown Brookings and watch the festival of lights. The parade will follow the same route as it did in 2020, going down Main Avenue to 3rd Street, up 5th Avenue, across 6th Street and back to Main Avenue. The parade will be announced from the Cubby’s rooftop. This is a tropical holiday event you do not want to miss.

DATE: Dec. 3

TIME: 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. 

LOCATION: Downtown Brookings

FEES/ADMISSION: 

FREE for all ages

Yuletide Concert

Listen to the sound of the Concert Choir, Choralia (Women’s Choir) and Statesmen (Men’s Choir) as each group performs on their own, and later as a mass ensemble called the “SDSU Choral Artists.” The Yuletide Concert is a celebration with choirs singing all around the hall. From the stage to the aisles, they will ensemble each other.

DATE: Dec. 12

TIME: 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

LOCATION:

Larson Memorial Concert Hall

within the Oscar Larson Performing

Arts Center

FEES/ADMISSION:

$10 for adults

$5 for children 18 and younger

Falls Park Winter  Wonderland

Falls Park Winter Wonderland light show is located at Falls Park, in Sioux Falls. It is a display of lights around the park. Drive or walk through the park to see all the decorations of lights and animated features. Listen to the festive music on radio station FM 97.7 while driving through the park.

This attraction is a popular sight to attend with friends, according to SDSU student Lucus Anglin.

“The Falls Park light show is a good get away with yourself, family and friends,” Anglin said. “It is nice to turn the Christmas music on and see the bright lights, it always gets me in the Christmas spirit.”

DATE: The light show

is going on now through Jan. 9, 2022.

TIME: 5 p.m. – midnight

LOCATION:

131 E Falls Park Dr, Sioux Falls, SD

57104

FEES/ADMISSION:

FREE for all ages