Annual toy drive accepting donations

Submitted photo

​​Stacks of donated and wrapped toys sit in the Multicultural Center waiting to be given to children and families.

Grace Arthur, Reporter

BSA, LASA, Global Studies club

collaborate to put on annual toy drive

The season of giving is coming up, and here’s an opportunity to give back to your community. 

“Thursday, which is the day of the event, we’ll be collecting new/unopened toys to give to the kids in the community. We (LASA) will be with the BSA and Global Studies club along with anyone else that would like to join,” Oscar Garcia, a freshman LASA member, said. 

Both the Black Student Alliance (BSA) and Latin American Student Alliance (LASA) clubs strive to add value to both the SDSU and Brookings communities. One way they do this is with community service projects, and they have quickly realized that they can ensure this by putting on an annual toy drive.  

“We believe that the toy drive ensures that our contributions within our communities make the greatest impact on children and families here in Brookings and here at SDSU,” LASA president Vanessa Valadez said.

Unity is a strength that LASA values, and teaming up with the BSA allows them to do much more with resources, human capital and ideas to ensure that the toy drive is successful, said Valadez.  

With both clubs being within the Office of Multicultural Affairs, it gives student organizations opportunities to work together to organize different events and projects. 

This toy drive was started several years ago as a community outreach service event, and ever since then it has positively impacted the youth in the area.  

Students who want to donate can drop off toys at the Office of Multicultural Affairs or attend the event to help wrap toys. Wrapping will take place Thursday, Dec. 2 in the Pheasant-Crest room of the University Student Union from 7-8:30 p.m.  

“It is a great reminder for them about giving back,” Alex Wood, faculty advisor for BSA, said. “Though we all have our own struggles, they acknowledge that they can benefit and help others.”