Athletics department to host second in concert series with Zac Brown Band to headline

Symmone Gauer, Lifestyles Editor (She/Her)

There’s no better time to celebrate being a Jackrabbit than now, especially with campus being back to pre-COVID-19 capacities. Exactly five years after the first Jacks Bash opened at the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium in 2016, Jacks Bash will return to campus Wednesday, Sept. 8, making it a huge celebratory event you won’t want to miss.
Zac Brown Band is headlining the concert with Fall Out Boy and country singer Gabby Barrett also performing, but the fun doesn’t stop there.
Full concessions, including beer, will be available for purchase at Jacks Bash 2. A New Castle company called Pyrotecnico, whose demonstrations have been seen at the Superbowl, will also put on an elaborate pyrotechnic display, and there’s still more to come.

“We have some more exciting surprises,” Christi Williams, the associate in ad operations, teased. The SDSU athletic department is involved with organizing, setting up for and finding volunteers. Over 300 volunteers help make it all possible, as does the donation from Dana Dykhouse himself and First PREMIER Bank, who will be sponsoring the event.
The stage will be set up on the north end of the football field. SDSU is expecting around 20,000 people to attend, and nearly 10,000 tickets have been reserved for students to purchase at a lower cost, but anyone in the community is welcome to attend.
“It is so unique to have this size of an act in a 23,000-person town,” Athletic Director Justin Sell said. “You just don’t see that really anywhere.”
Strategic in picking the artists, Dana Dykhouse and a group of advisors connected with promoters and agents to decide who to bring to the stage. There’s the challenge of figuring out who would get the community interested, who is available and willing to do a private show in Brookings, etc.
“Dana’s a very proud alum,” Sell said. “He loves SDSU. His generosity and giving-back is something that we should all take as an example … If we can bring these kinds of shows to Brookings, South Dakota, and on campus, what else can we do? We can do some amazing things in this place.”
The first Jacks Bash showcased performers Luke Bryan, Little Big Town and Lee Brice. Because this is the second time around with an event like this, Sell says the issues of parking and security were easy to figure out.
Concertgoers will have all the parking information sent to them, but people should expect the possibility of walking a distance to get to the concert and may want to consider the fact when deciding on which shoes to wear.
Sell explained that planning for Jacks Bash amidst COVID-19 concerns meant having multiple backup plans in place but always hoping for the best.
“You know you have to be prepared and have the ability to shift … and we certainly do, but I feel pretty good about where we’re at today,” he said. Sell added that having an outdoor venue is also extremely helpful.
Security is another top priority for an event of this size.
“A great deal of time and effort has gone into the development of our event security plan for the upcoming concert,” Michael Kilber with the SDSU Police Department said. Metal detection and limiting bags, etc., are all ways to help ensure the safety of those attending Jacks Bash.
University Police Department will also receive support from the Brookings, University of South Dakota and Sioux Falls police departments as well as the Swiftel Center, Brookings County Sheriff’s Office and South Dakota Highway Patrol.
“I’m super excited to see two very different bands I love one night—it’s the best of both worlds!” Gina Goblirsch, a senior advertising and English major, said in reference to Zac Brown Band and Fall Out Boy performing.
When asked about Gabby Barrett and her music, Goblirsch said, “Yeah, she’s great! I didn’t know she was performing until a couple days ago, but I’m excited to see her, too.”
Sell said it doesn’t matter if you know the bands or not—it’s an event no one will want to miss.
“It starts the semester in a great way … and opens the door for really good things to happen,” he said. “I would definitely ask people to get out there and be part of it.”
Students can still purchase tickets for $25 online at jackrabbittickets.com. SDSU faculty can purchase tickets for $50, and tickets for the general public are $100. Gates open at 5 p.m. and the concert begins at 6:30 p.m.

If you’re going

What: Jacks Bash 2, Zac Brown Band with Fall Out Boy and Gabby Barrett
When: 6:30 p.m., Sept. 8, 2021
Where: The Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium
Tickets: $25 for students, $50 for faculty, $100 for the general public

The Collegian will be giving away four tickets to Jacks Bash for two lucky winners! Keep an eye on our social media pages for a post with more details!