Student Association kicks off the new school year

Jacob Boyko, News Editor (He/Him)

The Student Association kicked off the year with their first meeting Monday night. The meeting began with Steven Erpenbach and Erin Glidden from the SDSU Foundation addressing the Senate about One Day for STATE.
“No matter the gift size, you can make a difference,” Glidden said. “On this day, a $5 gift and a $10,000 gift mean the same thing.”
The SDSU Foundation will announce a new fundraising campaign during the week of Hobo Day Oct. 21. This campaign will last around 2.5 years.
“One Day for STATE will give us that kind of momentum moving towards Oct. 21,” Erpenbach said.
According to Glidden, if 100 current SDSU students donate for the first time– no matter the amount—a donor will donate $10,000.
According to SA President Andrew Rasmussen, there are three at-large senate positions. Students interested can contact SA Vice President Rachel Schoon for information on getting a petition. Students will need to receive 50 valid signatures to be eligible for an interview for the at-large process. The 50 signatures can be from any students—not just the ones from your specific college.
Michaela Willis addressed the Senate about the state of the Student Union renovation project.
“We’re starting to plan Phase III. That will be kicking off next summer with the renovation of [Volstorff Ballroom],” Willis said. “When we get started with VBR, we will start planning for Phase IV.”
Phase IV is expected to be focused on renovating the lower level of the Union.
Students can have a voice in the upcoming renovation of Larson Commons through a survey sent to their emails from the SDSU Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Respondents will be entered to receive gift cards to the bookstore.
Willis addressed the Senate about the Sept. 9 vaccine clinic. Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines will be offered.
The school will be dispersing relief dollars from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund after the drop-and-add date for classes Sept. 2.
“All students who are degree-seeking and enrolled will receive HEERF III dollars,” Willis said.
The Senate also discussed Amendment 21-1-A, which would allow senators to vote remotely.