In fifth year, One Day for STATE sets sights on 5,000 donors

Mara Wheaton, Assistant News Editor (She/Her)

One Day for STATE, a 24-hour donation campaign, is taking place Thursday, Sept. 2. The SDSU Foundation is hosting its fifth annual campaign to celebrate South Dakota State University and give an opportunity for all Jackrabbits to see the impact of philanthropic giving.
Last year, $1,617,648 was raised by 4,888 donors for various academic colleges and campus programs. Of those donors, 484 were students at SDSU.
This year, donors have the opportunity to help unlock more than $165,000 worth of challenge gifts, plus an additional $10,000 when 100 first-time donors are reached.
Erin Glidden, director of loyalty giving at the SDSU Foundation, said their goal this year is 5,000 donors for the five years of One Day for STATE.
“No matter the gift size, you can make a difference. A $5 or $20 gift matters just as much as a larger gift of $10,000,” she said. “We could have a $10,000 challenge to ABC college, and when we get 25 donors, that $10,000 is kicked into the overall total. It’s all about working together to all rally around a college or specific affinity group that makes a difference on the day.”
Matilyn Kerr is a young alumni from SDSU. She donates because SDSU has given her many opportunities, and she wouldn’t be the person she is today without those experiences.
“Giving back is a way that I can try and repay SDSU for all the good it has given me,” she said.
Nick Lorang, a former SDSU student, said that One Day for STATE is a great opportunity for current students and young alumni to have a direct impact on the university.
“The beauty of One Day for STATE is that every gift has the opportunity to go further,” he said. “That is a really cool way for young donors to get involved and to see the impact on those programs.”
A social presence is also an important part of One Day for STATE. This day is more than just donating; it is also about sharing SDSU pride and rallying together as a community.
“Yes, we hope people make gifts,” Glidden said. “But even just sharing your SDSU story is such an impactful part of the day.”
There will be events going on all day to celebrate.
Starting at 11 a.m. there will be an on-campus patio party hosted outside of the Student Union for SDSU students.
Later that night, the Yellow and Blue Block Party is from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the Alumni Green. There will be food trucks, free SDSU ice cream, a performance from the SDSU Pride and plenty more activities.
Glidden said she was excited for the Yellow and Blue Block Party, especially since they weren’t able to host it last year.
“Being able to have that feel of campus and having that rallying point, we missed it last year, so just having that feel is pretty cool,” she said.