Your voice matters: Vote in the Students’ Association general election

Hattie Seten, 2020-2021 Students’ Association President

Dear Fellow Jackrabbits,

My name is Hattie Seten, and I serve as your 2020-2021 South Dakota State University Students’ Association President. 

The Students’ Association is comprised of all General Activity Fee-paying students at SDSU. Our student body is represented by the SA Senate, which serves as SDSU’s official student government organization. The SA Senate is comprised of 26 senators representing each of the academic colleges and the student body president and vice president.

Together, the SA Senate brings the voice of students to university administration, faculty, staff, community leaders, state legislators and the South Dakota Board of Regents. 

The SA Senate allocates your student fees to support student organizations and campus entities, initiates positive and innovative change on our campus and seeks to improve the student experience at SDSU. 

Each spring semester, the Senate is up for election and you have the power to decide who will represent the interests of our student body. This year, the Students’ Association election will take place March 23 and March 24 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at SAelection.sdstate.edu.

This spring, 29 students are on the ballot across our senatorial and presidential/vice-presidential races. 

I commend the 29 students on the ballot because running for office is no easy task. It is time-consuming, daunting and selfless. These courageous students are committed to SDSU, and they each want the opportunity to serve you. They took the time to reach out to constituents, they identified innovative solutions to solve campus problems and they created platforms to share their visions for a stronger and better SDSU.

Now, more than ever, I encourage you to use your voice by casting your vote for effective student leadership. 

As Jackrabbits, it is our duty to be actively engaged in student endeavors, stay informed about campus happenings and advocate for ourselves and each other. We have the power to shape our opportunities and possibilities at SDSU. 

Finally, as President Abraham Lincoln once stated, “The ballot is stronger than the bullet.” Jackrabbits, your voices are valuable, so please make sure to use them on March 23 and 24 by voting in the SA election. No one else has a greater stake in our student experience, education and future than we do.

Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks and GO VOTE!

With a loyal heart so true, 

Hattie Seten

2020-2021 Students’ Association President