SDSU changes to COVID-19 safety level Yellow

Gracie Terrall, News Editor (She/Her)

In an email from the South Dakota State University COVID-19 Response team early today, it was announced that SDSU just entered the campus safety level Yellow, which will lift various COVID-19 restrictions.

A yellow campus safety level is based on state and local COVID-19 transmission data indicating a low or moderate level of community spread,” the email read. 

This is the first time the university has been outside the Orange color range, which has “moderate or substantial levels of community spread.”

In addition to the safety level change, the university will remain in level 3 face covering protocol.

Under the Yellow status, event attendance changed from a maximum of 60 individuals to 120. Virtual events are still encouraged.

Travel can now be conducted under strict protocols. Previously, only essential university travel was allowed. 

The guest policy remains the same, with only SDSU students allowed in the residence halls.

“Residents are limited to one guest in a room with an overall maximum occupancy of four in a traditional hall,” according to a notice from the COVID-19 Housing Updates website.

According to the COVID-19 Safety Levels website, moving from Orange to Yellow means the number of positive cases in the community decreased over a 14-day period. There should also be no “evidence of exposure in large communal settings.” 

The university can only enter the Green safety level when a vaccine is available for SDSU students. Currently, South Dakota is in Group D, which allows people age 65 and older, high risk individuals and people with underlying medical conditions. 

A community vaccination center will be open at the Swiftel Center Thursday, March 11 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for residents age 65 and older.