Schedule change announced for Fall 2020

Gracie Terrall, News Editor

The South Dakota State University Office of the Vice President released an updated academic calendar for the Fall 2020 semester. In-person class will suspend at Thanksgiving while the rest of the semester is to be conducted remotely. 

The South Dakota Board of Regents described the combination of travel, regular flu season and the risk of COVID-19 as factors in determining the situation. 

Additionally, classes are set to begin Aug. 19, three days prior to the original start date. 

Labor Day, Native American Day and Veterans Day will all be class days to accommodate for the required 70 class-day schedule.

According to the email, winter break will be used to deep clean the campus and prepare for the spring semester. 

“The decision among the regents and fellow presidents to adjust the fall semester was done very deliberately, taking into account all of the information that has been put before us by leading health organizations and leading health officials,” said SDSU President Barry Dunn. “It is clear that the more we can keep our students on campus, reduce time away from campus and get them home for an extended period of time during some of our colder months, the better opportunity we have for an environment that will allow them to be successful on campus.”

Finals will be conducted remotely Dec. 2-4 and Dec. 7-8.