Constitution approved, resolution passed and everything else you need to know: SA in Brief

Andrew Rasmussen, News and Opinion Editor

The Students’ Association met for a productive evening of approving a new club, passing a resolution of support for the multicultural center, and hearing various updates on-campus activities. 

During the open forum, senators heard from Chief Diversity Officer Kas Williams and ADA Coordinator Nadine Gjerde on their efforts to promote diversity and inclusion on campus. Representatives from KSDJ, SDSU’s student-run radio station, also presented on their organization.

Secular Student Alliance

The constitution for the Secular Student Alliance was approved by a voice vote. The club will seek to promote secular values on campus and is affiliated with the National Secular Student Alliance. According to their constitution, their purpose is to “promote the values of secularism, scientific rationality and human-based ethics.” 

“Religious diversity is amazing,” Sen. Dustin Manzey said, supporting the constitution.

Additional Wellness Center Counselors

Chief of Staff Amanda Muller announced the Wellness Center has hired two additional counselors and is in the process of hiring another. Currently, there are six counselors on staff, according to the Wellness Center website.  

Jacks Closet

SDSU is now accepting donations of gently used and new winter coats through Nov. 22. Students can drop off donations at the Office of Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Access in Morrill Hall 124, UPD station, the Multicultural Center and Jack’s Cupboard located in Ben Reifel Hall.

Student IDs on Cell Phones

According to Vice President of Student Affairs Michaela Willis, the university is pursuing a system that would allow students to use the services provided by student IDs from their cell phones. 

Hobo Day 2020 

Vice President of Student Affairs Michaela Willis talked about the university’s decision to host Hobo Day on Halloween in 2020.

According to Willis, the university is starting conversations with community leaders to discuss how to make it a successful and safe Halloween and Hobo Day.

“How do we change the culture a little bit of Hobo Day?” Willis said. “It really hurts our relationship with neighbors and communities.”

Resolution of support for the Multicultural Center

A resolution in support of the relocation of the Multicultural Center to the second floor of the Student Union passed unanimously. 

“This is more than appropriate to congratulate all the hard work,” Finance Chair Jesse Carlson said.

The senate will meet again at 7 p.m. Nov. 18. They will not meet next week in observation of Veterans Day.