Plan your weekend getaway to Minneapolis

Gracie Nelson, Reporter

Can’t find anything to do in Brookings for the three-day weekend? Well, head to the big city of Minneapolis. You already know about their main attractions, the Mall of America and  U.S. Bank Stadium, but here are five smaller attractions you and your friends may enjoy. 

The largest candy store in Minnesota with thousands of kinds of candies and treats is on the way to the city, located at 20430 Johnson Memorial Dr., Jordan, Minnesota.

Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store is also known as Jim’s Apple Farm and is open from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. from mid-May through November. 

The store only accepts cash but does have an ATM inside the building. They pride themselves on having candies from across the world and using their own apples for candy apples. 

Some truth hurts but not this truth. Lizzo will be playing at The Armory in Minneapolis Friday, Oct. 11, with Ari Lennox and DJ Sophia Eris. 

Via Ticketmaster, ticket prices are ranging from $54.50-$74.50. Take a group of friends to the show and enjoy the weekend at Hilton Minneapolis, with prices starting at $180 for a room to fit three to four people. 

If the prices for hotels didn’t scare you enough, check out the Dead-End Hayride, located 30 minutes northeast of Minneapolis at 28186 Kettle River Blvd. N, Wyoming, Minnesota. Starting at $20 general admission, you’ll experience scares that will excite. Each year the team switches up its decor, characters and routes. 

If you are worried about long lines and waiting for a while, don’t! 

“The line seems long but goes pretty quick, and (they have) concession stands where you can get your fix of warm food and beverages,” said Josh B. from his Trip Advisor review. “The ride and haunts themselves are so scary and fun, I had lost my voice by the end of the night from screaming so much.”

Not into scary stuff? Then head to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden and Wurtele Upper Garden. 

Saturdays and Sundays are free entry tours to see the amazing sculptures built and to interact with some of the art. The MSG also encourages families and friends to enjoy their self-guided tour sheet. The art ranges from shadows on the sidewalk to the large Spoonbridge and Cherry. 

Hitting the club is something most college students want to do, but you must be 21 for most. Not at Bar Fly in downtown Minneapolis. 

Open from 8 p.m.-2 a.m., all 18+ young adults are welcome to enjoy their DJ and a dancefloor that can fit up to 2,500 people. 

There is also Gay 90’s Minneapolis that is open to all sexualities but encourages the gay community to attend. The first Sunday of every month, Gay 90’s Minneapolis hosts a drag show that is open to all ages from noon to 2 p.m.