What’s new at SDSU?: Summer ‘19 recap

Frankie Herrera

Construction work steadily continues after a long summer on campus. Progress is being made on The American Indian Student Center, which aims to increase diversity at South Dakota State University.

Landon Dierks, Sports Editor

As seems to happen every summer, areas of campus look a little — or in some cases a lot — different than they did when students left in May. Here’s a quick look at some of the big changes that happened while classes weren’t in session.

Construction projects

A renovation to the Einstein Bros. Bagels area created space for additional points of sale as is expected to be done Sept. 2.

The Multicultural Center will relocate to a more prominent location on the second floor of the Student Union in mid-October. 

Construction on the newest residential facility, Southeast University Neighborhood Apartments, was completed.

Construction continued on the American Indian Student Center with expected completion in 2020.

Coffee shuffle

Starbucks opened a location connected to the Southeast University Neighborhood Apartments.

Java City has moved from Wagner into Union Coffee, where Starbucks was previously.

Einstein Bros. Bagels’ facilities updated to reflect a merger with Caribou Coffee.

New schools open

The South Dakota Board of Regents approved the formation of two new schools that officially opened July 1: the Ness School of Management and Economics and the School of American and Global Studies.

A new way to order food

Order-ahead food service will be transferring from Tapingo to Grubhub this semester after the latter acquired the former in late 2018.

Wellness Center

All classes offered by the Wellness Center, including popular choices such as yoga and cycling classes, are now free to students.