Three key tips to survive freshman year

Payton Pierce, Public Relations Director

Adjusting to college life can be a daunting task, but there are a few things that can take away the stress of being new to college. These tips and tricks can help you get acclimated faster and get the most out of your first year at SDSU, both in classes and in the community.

• Sit toward the front of the classroom. Sitting in the back will make the class much harder to pay attention to. 
  • Introduce yourself to professors in all your classes. They’re not as scary as you might think; they want to help you. 
  • Attend supplemental instruction (SI) or tutoring sessions if offered. It never hurts to get more help.
  • Get to know the people sitting around you in class — one day you will be grateful. Your fellow peers will be the ones you can study with and get notes from if you are absent.
  • Read your textbooks! Your books help immensely with exams and understanding the material. 
  • If you are prone to headaches, whether it’s from spending hours on an essay or in lecture, invest in a pair of blue light glasses to use while staring at an electronic screen.

• Keep an eye on your Flex money. It can get low quickly. 
  • Get involved — find your niche and use it to make connections and have fun! School isn’t just about studying.
  • Take advantage of the free resources on campus. For example: the exercise classes offered at the Wellness Center, resume builders, the Writing Center, Speech Center and on-campus therapists. 
  • Embrace dorm life — getting out of your comfort zone can lead to making new friends and expand your horizons with your interests.

• Get to know as many people as possible, whether in class or around campus. Never again will you be surrounded by so many people of the same age with varying views, opinions and life experiences.
  • Participate in activities and form relationships that make you feel uncomfortable. Growth is difficult when you don’t step out of your comfort zone.
  • Get involved in the community and take time to get off campus. For example, there’s half-off sushi at Sake on Monday nights!