Changes brew at SDSU: New ways to caffeinate on campus

Frankie Herrera

Starbucks barista Cameron Houser wipes down the counter at the new store location in the Southeast University Neighborhood. The location opened to the public with the completion of the residential apartments in Aug. 2019.

Sammi Schrag, Agriculture Reporter

Over the summer, campus coffee shops have relocated and made multiple renovations.

Starbucks and Einstein Bros. Bagels expanded their facilities in hopes of creating more foot traffic and a better student experience. 

Relocated to the Southeast University Neighborhood, the new, full-service Starbucks employs about 25 students and is open year-round.

The restaurant is packed with charging stations, which was a top priority during construction. Open from 6 a.m.-9 p.m, the space will stay open until midnight to be used as a lounge area for students living in the complex. 

The mural featured on the side of the building features some of SDSU’s core clubs and landmarks, such as The Pride of the Dakotas and the Coughlin Campanile. Drawn by Brookings native and SDSU Marketing and Communications graphic designer Micayla Standish, the goal was to “highlight the student experience,” according to Doug Wermedal, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs.

Wermedal said Starbucks has already made an impact on Brookings.

“Sort of like the Wellness Center and arts and athletic events on campus, this is a place where campus and community meet, which is one of my favorite parts.”

He said the university tries to connect to the Brookings community as much as possible.

Turns out, SDSU graduates are everywhere.

The Starbucks district manager Jill Norman is a former Jackrabbit. She got her start in food service when she worked in the first Java City on campus over 10 years ago.

“The store reports to someone who did their undergrad here at SDSU, so that’s really cool,” Wermedal said.

Across campus, Einstein Bros. Bagels is set to reopen during the week of Sept. 2 with an expanded kitchen, two new coolers and three cash registers. 

“SDSU had the top performing Einsteins location on a college campus in the nation — all with one point of sale,” according to Wermedal. 

The goal of the renovation expansion project was to improve the flow of customers for the students that utilize the space.