Records fall in Vermillion

Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

History was made in Vermillion over the weekend.

Coby Hilton, a sophomore from Marshall, Minnesota, ran the 200-meter race in 20.92, toppling a record that stood for 26 years. In 1993, Edmund Estephane set the school record at 21.14.

It wasn’t just the 200-meter where the sophomore excelled. Hilton also ran his career-best time in the 100-meter with a time of 10.50.

The time of 10.50 is the fourth-best time in school history.

Hilton has shown no signs of slowing down after his record-setting indoor season. During the indoor season, Hilton reset his top 200-meter time four times, while eventually running a time of 21:24 at the Summit League championships, which ranked him second all-time in school history.

It wasn’t just Hilton who was atop the podium with a record-breaking time at the South Dakota Challenge.

Jaymie O’Connor, a junior from Châteauguay, Quebec, reset the school record in the 100-meter hurdles. O’Connor toppled a 17-year old record and trimmed .10 seconds off when she ran a time of 13.75.

O’Connor is the second Jackrabbit in school history to own both the indoor and outdoor records in both events.

In the 400-meter hurdles, O’Connor ran her career-best (1:05:26), improving by 4.79 seconds.

A freshman also impressed in the outdoor tournament.

In his first 800-meter race of his career, freshman Riley Bauer took the top spot with a time of 1:51:81. Bauer just missed out on the school’s top 10 list by 0.08 seconds. Bauer edged fellow Jackrabbit Kyle Burdick for the top spot.

Up next, the South Dakota State track and field teams will travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota to participate in the Minnesota Spring Open, April 12-13.