Even today, do guys pay?

Krista Tschetter

Krista Tschetter

When it comes to dating, chivalry is not dead. At least not here in Middle America.

Twenty-five randomly chosen SDSU dorm-dwellers (13 men and 12 women) were asked the question “Who should pay on a first date?” All but one either thought the man should pay or the check should be split.

“I feel weird if a girl pays for anything on a date,” said one anonymous male.

“The guy should pay all the time,” said another.

Many of the girls agreed.

“Of course the guy (should pay if) he asked me out on a date,” said sophomore Joy Mohamed, who was not part of the survey. “I think that’s what gentlemen do.”

Only one male thought the check should be split. In fact, the females interviewed seemed more likely to even question the guy paying.

“It depends on who asks who out,” said graduate student Nici Vandeklaan.

“I think on a first date you should go dutch,” said Sally Anderson, a theater major. “Then on the second date, it depends. After that you [work to] establish a joint method.”

No matter who decides to pay on a date, it’s no big secret that college students are often lacking spare money. That doesn’t necessarily mean sacrificing a good time.

There are many affordable places in Brookings to eat, drink or just hang out. For example, a meal at Perkins weighs in at only about $8, and a night of bowling (two games and two shoe rentals) adds up to $8.60 without tax. The movie theater also offers Tuesday night as “cheap night,” lowering the normal $6 ticket price to $4.

Even for a special occasion, slightly more upscale restaurants like The Ram Pub are only a few dollars more expensive then Perkins or Country Kitchen.

There are also many places to spend an evening out that cost absolutely nothing. Most SDSU theater productions, concerts and sporting events are free with student I.D.

The South Dakota Art Museum and McCrory Gardens also offer opportunities for poor folk, as well as quality time for coversation, which may even be more important than money.