Acceleration elevates athleticism

Adam Zobel

Adam Zobel

Whether an athlete wants to run faster, jump higher or throw harder, the new Jackrabbit Acceleration program at SDSU provides an additional tool to athletes who seek a competitive advantage on the field.

While the program has been popular with SDSU athletes, it is also an option for recreational athletes who are seeking extra speed or power, or the college student seeking to enhance his or her own level of physical fitness.

According to Lee Munger, SDSU head strength and conditioning coach, the Jackrabbit Acceleration program is sponsored by Avera McKennan Hospital and was started at SDSU last May.

Approximately fifty area athletes, including football, volleyball and soccer players at the collegiate and prep levels, participated in the Jackrabbit Acceleration program over the summer.

About 25 athletes currently participate in the program, including several members of the swimming and men’s basketball teams.

Athletes typically begin their program about ten weeks prior to the start of their season.

The Jackrabbit Acceleration program uses the Frappier acceleration method, a program that was developed in Fargo, ND, by exercise physiologist John Frappier.

The purpose of the program is to help athletes gain an edge in speed, agility, balance and body coordination through training and specialized exercises.

Since its inception in 1990, the Frappier Acceleration Program has been used by over 85,000 athletes worldwide, including over 1,200 professional athletes.

Jackrabbit Acceleration features the use of three pieces of specialized equipment.

The Generation II Super Treadmill allows athletes to train at speeds of up to 28 mph and at an inclination of up to 40 degrees.

The Pylo Press is a leg press machine that allows for jumping exercises that enhance an athlete’s explosiveness.

Finally, Jackrabbit Acceleration offers a Pro Multi-Hip device that functions as a four-way hip machine and helps build lower-body strength.

A typical program consists of 24 one-hour sessions over an eight-week period.

“It’s a pretty intense program, but we can modify it depending on the individual,” Munger said.

In addition to SDSU athletes, the program is open to the student body and the Brookings community.

The normal cost of the program is about $275 for SDSU students, $400 for non-students.

Supplemental programs geared toward specific sports are also offered.

More information about the Jackrabbit Program can be obtained by contacting Lee Munger in HPER 105 or at 688-4990.