Cavorts, contests olympics planned

Tanya Marsh

Tanya Marsh

For those SDSU students and faculty wondering, “Is Hobo Week pretty much just a cold parade and football game?” the answer is a resounding “No.”

Hobo Day Grand Pooba Abby Bischoff said she wants to involve students in all of the traditional activities that accompany SDSU’s homecoming, from events of recent years to events revived from Hobo Days of the distant past.

On Monday, students painted windows of downtown businesses. Then the Jackrabbit Rally combined the SDSU Drumline, athletic teams, and student-led cheers, skits, and songs to rustle up spirit among the Jacks.

Student participants in the Hobo and military dress-up contest were judged Monday. Robert Davis of Farmhouse won.

Since the “Burying of the Razor” on Sept. 6, participants in the One Month Club have been growing out their leg or facial hair.

Today, students signed up to participate in the scavenger hunt and the Bum-A-Meal program. For the scavenger hunt, groups of at least three must find all the items on a list before Thursday at 5 p.m.

Hobos “Can” Do It, a recycling program for all service-minded Hobos in the area, held the final collection of aluminum cans today.

Here’s a round-up of remaining festivities.

Wednesday, Oct. 2

Hobos vs. Hunger sign-up will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the University Student Union Breezeway.

Bum-A-Meal sign-up will run from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the union breezeway for students who couldn’t make it to Tuesday’s sign-up for the event.

The Employee Dress-Up Contest will be held on the Union Market stage at 12:30 p.m.

Hall Decorating Contest Judging will begin at 3 p.m., awarding prizes to floors who pull out all the stops to show Hobo pride with their patriotic and military themed decorations.

Fort Bum will also be on Wednesday. For more information see the sidebar on this page.

Thursday, Oct. 3

Theme Dress-Up and Button Day means students should break out the Hobo and military garb as well as all the buttons they’ve collected to dress the part of Operation: Hobo Day.

The Hansen Hall Farm Cart Races are scheduled to begin at 4 p.m., at Hansen Hall.

The Scavenger Hunt ends in room 65 of the student union at 5 p.m.

Bum Olympics, where Hobos partake in events slightly less strenuous than those found in the usual Olympics, will begin at 5 p.m. on Rotunda Green.

Bum-A-Meal means those Hobos who were willing to dress up and sign up get a free home-cooked meal from a Brookings host family. The feasting is set to begin at 6:30 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 4

Blue and Yellow Day is a chance to don yellow sweatshirts and blue jeans, or a favorite SDSU T-shirt.

Cavorts, an annual student-run talent show, will be on stage in Donor Auditorium at 8 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 5

Hobo Day Parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. and the floats, bands, and politicians will cruise the streets of Brookings. During the parade, the back-from-the-past Bum Band will be asked to march in front of the Grand Pooba, playing their unusual instruments.

The Hobo Day Tailgate Barbecue will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Coughlin Alumni Stadium, inviting students to grab some food and get pumped up for the big game.

The Hobo Day Football Game against the University of (Grand Forks) North Dakota is at 1 p.m.