Graphic designers’ work on display

Colleen Stein

Colleen Stein

Three graphic design majors will offer a variety of revamped business logos and other public relations media pleasing to the eye on display at the Ritz Gallery from Feb. 18-21st.

Seniors Anna Norton, Andrea Clark, and Jessica Pfiefle spent long hours last fall perfecting their final projects, redesigning logos, business cards and pamphlets for six businesses of their choice. Under the tutelage of graphic design professors Tim Steele and Randy Clark, the three seniors’ illustrative abilities have become finely honed enough to spice up any hum-drum advertisement or company letterhead.

For Anna Norton, who has always had an eye for art, graphic designing was an inevitable choice for a future career. Norton will contribute 18 pieces to the senior exhibit, with her main focus revolving around a quilt store called Pathways.

Following graduation, Norton plans on moving back to her hometown of Rapid City and finding a job in web design. For inspiration, Norton looks to one of the world’s most prominent graphic designers, Paul Rand. Rand, Norton explains, was responsible for designing the IBM logo.

“I saw (Rand) in one of my textbooks and once I learned about him and what he did, I began to really admire his style.” Norton said.

While some people grow up conscious of their love for art, others do not realize their passion for it until later on in life. This was the case with Art Club President and American Institute of Graphic Art (AIGA) member, Andrea Clark. Clark revealed her tale of how she began her education at SDSU as a Pharmacy major and later found her way into the Mechanical Engineering Department.

“When I explained to my advisor that I like the drawing aspect of engineering a lot more than the physics part, he suggested I talk to Norman Gambill,” Clark explained.

Dr. Gambill, the department head of Visual Arts, sat down with Clark and presented a number of different projects done by graphic design students. When asked if that was the sort of thing she could see herself doing, Clark anxiously said yes.

Clark is presenting around 20 different pieces at the exhibit. Along with four other businesses, Clark devoted much of her time with developing and enhancing the logos for a printwork corporation called Pippin Imaging based out of Colorado.

After graduation, Clark plans on attending graduate school with hopes of becoming a professor in the graphic arts field. When asked if she would ever return to SDSU on a job offer, Clark responded, “I would come back in a heartbeat. I will have a hard time leaving SDSU and I really enjoy the Brookings community.”

The work of third senior Jessica Pfiefle, completes the exclusive lineup gracing the floor of the Ritz gallery. Pfiefle belongs to AIGA and the Art Club and is a member of advertising club as well. Her love of graphic design came to light when she was a junior in high school. Enrolled in an art class, Pfiefle was given the assignment of creating billboard designs. The task awakened her creative advertising abilities and served as a blueprint for a future career. Pfiefle plans on moving to Las Vegas after graduation in search of job working as an advertising agent.

Bestowing 18 to 20 pieces on the senior collection, Pfiefle’s main contribution involves designs for the company Niobrara Adventure. Established in Valentine, Nebraska, the company sells camping, canoeing and other various supplies for enjoying the outdoors.

On Feb 18-21st, attend the Senior Design Exhibition in the Ritz Gallery located in Grove Hall.

A reception for the event will be held on the final day from 4:30-7:00 p.m. where juice and snacks will be served. For additional information contact Dr. Norman Gambill at 688-4103.