SDSU bids retiring faculty adieu

Hallie Thomas

Hallie Thomas

There comes a time in many people’s lives when the hallowed halls of higher education should be set aside. Some students complete college in four years, others prefer to savor the experience in five. Then there are those special few who decide to make it their life. No, they are not wayward hanger-ons or indecisive quintuple majors; these people are experts, scholars who have worked their entire lives toward educating the generations that succeed them.

But like their students, there comes a point where they feel the need to move on.

“It’s the right time. I’ve been here 32 years and even though I enjoy teaching, there are other things I want to do,” said German professor Carl Sunde,”I have no regrets and I wish my successor all the best. I am sure he will do a wonderful job replacing me and keeping the German department great.”

Even though he’s leaving his office in the NFA behind, Sunde is planning an eventful retirement. He hopes to stay active through volunteer work, home projects, and traveling.

Retiring history professor David Crain is another aspiring tourist.

“My wife and I are never happier than when we are hitting the road,”he said. “I’ve had a busy semester and I’m glad to walk away from this semester especially.”

Nutrition professor Michael Crews retirement goals are simple.

“I want to live long enough and be healthy enough to ski for free,” he said, “which is 70 years of age.”

Over the course of the summer SDSU will say farewell to 18 faculty members who have served a combined 505 years on this campus. Listed below are the retirees. Make sure to wish them good luck.

#1.887015:1525149277.jpg:director.jpg:Dr. Charles Canaan takes a final bow at last Saturday?s Alumni Concert in the Performing Arts Center. Canaan is one of 18 faculty members retiring at the end of the semester. The faculty members have put in a combined 505 years of service for SDSU.: