Leaving home means staying away

Libby Hill

Libby Hill

So, you’ve decided to go to college.

Good for you.

This decision has placed you in a situation where every person you meet gives you unsolicited advice about every aspect of your impending collegiate career.

That sucks, as obviously these people have no idea what they’re talking about and besides, where do they get off trying to tell you what to do?

After all, you don’t need any advice about life.

You’re a high school graduate, for goodness’ sake!

Thus it’s ridiculous to listen to any of that crackpot advice people try to give you.

Except for me, that is.

I am the Collegian’s advice columnist, after all.

So, I’m going to do you a favor.

I’m going to break it all down for you and tell you the one thing you need to do in order to survive your first year of college successfully.

Don’t go home.

Seriously.

It’s the only way.

Every year when the fall semester begins, new students rush eagerly to campus, frenzied to start their new life of independence and, well, partying.

But come that first Friday they get itchy.

Soon these former high school seniors known so well for saying “I can’t wait to get out of (insert hometown here)” are saying things like, “Wow, I bet my mom really misses me … I bet doing my laundry would really cheer her up!”

Indeed.

Don’t fall victim to these thoughts.

They may seem innocent enough at first, but if you start going home on the weekends, you’ll soon be going home every weekend.

And if you don’t believe me, feel free to ask any number of upper classmen who’ve seen the same thing happen year after year.

And realize, I’m not telling you to never go home again. It’s just that you need to challenge yourself.

Attempt (no matter how difficult it seems) to stay at school for at least the first four weekends of the semester.

That should be enough time to get used to your new surroundings and foil any nasty high school habits.

I assure you that it’ll be harder to do than you think, as “home” is a safe haven that will be very alluring when you’re surrounded by the unfamiliarity of your new life.

But what you must always remember is that college can be everything you hoped it would be.

Just be brave and give it time.

Libby Hill is the Collegian’s advice columnist. This summer she will wed resident fascist dictator Todd VanDerWerff. She can be reached [email protected].