The Collegian: Your friend in the college paper business

Todd Vanderwerff

Todd Vanderwerff

So just who are we anyway?

That’s what you’re probably asking by now. Of course, you’re probably tired, because you had to get up at 7 a.m. or thereabouts to attend your first orientation session, so really, you could just be asking yourself, “When do I get to sleep?”

Well, we can’t answer that one for you, but we can tell you a little bit about us. It’s not the most exciting story in the world, but it’s all we’ve got.

We’re the Collegian, the independent student newspaper of South Dakota State University. By independent, we mean we don’t rely on school money for our printing or labor expenses. We do get free office space in the Union from the school (and we thank them for it), but we don’t take their money and spend it willy nilly on cacti or something.

We publish every Tuesday afternoon and we’re usually available on campus at about 6 p.m. on Tuesday evening.

We try every week to offer a fair balance between campus news and the fun stuff that keeps you reading. We have an advice columnist, movie and music reviews and even the occasional offensive letter to the editor. But in addition to all of that, we try to cover the big news stories on campus in a way that will express the point of view of the students. One of our reporters even won a national award for his examination of the impact of SDSU’s Division I move last year.

So take a look at our special orientation issue. We’ve tried to provide you with as much information about SDSU as we could. As far as student media goes, we (and KSDJ) are it.

And if this all looks like a lot of fun, send us an e-mail, [email protected] because we’re always looking for new faces. Who knows? Someday you might have my job!