The rewards of a helping hand

Colleen Stein

Colleen Stein

South Dakota State University students will lend their helping hands in aiding the construction of two Brookings Habitat For Humanity housing projects.

On Saturday morning, 20 SDSU students will volunteer their time to help build two homes, each designated to house families from the Brookings and Volga area.

The University Program Council has organized Habitat for Humanity events consistently for the last three years.

Community Service Coordinator Laura Jewel has been involved with the UPC since 2001.

During that time, Jewel has assisted in both organizing events and volunteering in the construction of these housing projects.

“Helping out with Habitat is very rewarding,” Jewel said. “You can physically see your progress as you go, and it is something that helps keep people involved.”

When volunteers arrive at the work site, the foundation for the house is already constructed. The work of the students mainly consists of painting, caulking, putting up siding, stapling chicken wire along the foundation and hanging plastic in preparation for ceiling insulation.

This year, Habitat for Humanity is sponsoring two housing projects. One home will be located south of Brookings near Onaka Village. The second construction site is in Volga.

While positions to help with the UPC’s Habitat housing projects have been filled, students are encouraged to volunteer for other important upcoming events.

On Thursday, Oct. 2, UPC is organizing an Adopt-a-Highway event that will be held at 4 pm. On Saturday, Oct. 18, a group of students will pay a visit to the Old Town Dinner Theatre to serve meals and watch the show.

The UPC’s final community event for 2003, will be on Dec. 4 and involve activities in the childcare facility located at the Brookings United Retirement Center.

“I think that people should take time from their busy schedule, even if it is just for a couple of hours, to help someone else.” Jewel explained.

“Building with Habitat is a great experience and when I am there I keep my mind off all the busy things in life and concentrate on this one project for the day.”

For further information on UPC community sponsored events, contact Laura Jewel at 688-6173 or stop by the UPC office in room 65, located in the basement of the Student Union.