From point A to snowy South Dakota

Lynn Klavetter

Lynn Klavetter

Snow, ice, below zero temperatures and bitter wind chills make up the colder parts of South Dakota winters. Although most native South Dakotans don’t appreciate scraping their car windows or putting on an extra layer of clothing, they expect it.

For students from different climates the cold weather causes a new change of pace. Graduate student Terry Chai, from Hong Kong, makes adjustments.

“[In Hong Kong] the coldest day would be 40 degrees Fahrenheit. It rains a lot compared to here,” Chai said.

The cold weather affects his level of energy.

“In the winter it is so cold. I just feel lazy and want to stay at home where it is warm. In Hong Kong we could play anything like tennis or basketball if it wasn’t raining,” Chai said.

Chai, along with many other students, spends time dealing with the weather.

“In the morning I have to waste like five minutes to warm up the car and scrape off the windows. [I’m] just wasting time doing stuff you don’t have to do in the South,” Chai said.

Although Chai dislikes the cold, he appreciates some aspects of winter in South Dakota.

“The first snow looks beautiful. When I was a kid I dreamed of a white Christmas. That’s how it is supposed to be like in all the movies,” Chai said.

After days of more and more snowfall, Chai is changing his tune.

“I really wanted to see the snow. Now I’ve seen it and it’s enough. One week is good for the whole winter. It can’t keep snowing all the time and not melt,” Chai said.

Freshman Josie Shephard, from Arizona, is not used to the climate.

“I’m not used to bundling up. I just freeze walking to class,” Shephard said.

Road conditions