Learn while you relax – Briggs Library gives students relief from the student union blues

Edward Kearns

Edward Kearns

Having a place to relax between classes is an essential part of many students’ lives here at SDSU. With the construction on the Union underway, most find themselves wondering where they will go throughout the year. One option that is often overlooked is the Hilton M. Briggs Library.

Briggs Library is much more than a place to study. Since opening in 1977, it has offered various amenities to the students of SDSU.

“We encourage its use as a commons, not just a place to study,” Laura Wight, instruction coordinator and reference librarian for Briggs Library said during an interview. “It’s a nice place to meet up and socialize with friends.”

On the main level students can access 50 public computer work stations. Every one of these computers is connected to the Internet. The library also houses a computer lab with 25 internet-accessible computers that also have word processing software.

“The main level is more of a social area,” said Wight. “We don’t really have noise restrictions.”

Also on the main floor are the current periodicals. The Briggs Library offers a collection of most popular magazines for the students to browse through. There is a large reading area there with comfortable chairs and couches to relax in. Students can also find current newspapers and back issues from the last month to read.

Briggs Library has several group study rooms on the lower and upper levels. Most are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, but two can be reserved at the circulation desk. These rooms give students a private area to meet for projects or just to hang out.

“Sometimes you can use them just to watch a movie,” Wight explained. “We can just roll a TV into the room and a group of 10 people can watch a movie together.”

On the upper level, among the circulation books and special collections, there is a wide variety of audio-visual equipment such as tape decks, CD and record players, as well as TV/VCR machines. Headphones for the audio equipment are available free of charge to students with a valid ID.

Among the most commonly used features of the library are its 61 blue couches. Students can use the couches to get comfortable and study or just chat with friends. Some even stop by to take a nap.

The Hilton M. Briggs Library has thousands of resources for the students of SDSU. offering a place to study is only one of them. Students can hang out, watch movies, listen to music or just kick back and relax.

Briggs Library can replace many of the creature comforts students came to enjoy at the Student Union.