South Korean instructor works, lives on-campus

Jesse Batson

Jesse Batson

In-Tae Hwang, a South Korean exchange professor, is living and working on-campus this year in hopes that he will learn more about American culture.

He hopes to share his experiences in America with his students in Korea.

“I will have accumulated so many experiences, that my experiences will help my students learn about the real culture,” said Hwang, who teaches English in South Korea.

Hwang, who teaches at Chugnam National University, said it is important to him to relate real-life experiences to his students.

“Until last semester, I taught my students according to passages from other professors and authors – not from my experience, not from the real experience,” he said.

While he’s at SDSU, Hwang will be interpreting an English book and translating it into Korean.

“The aim of the research is to gather and survey early English grammar books, published from the 16th century of the English Renaissance to the 18th century, and related materials which are not found in Korea,” he said.

Hwang is also tutoring Loye Romereim-Holmes, an education professor, and her family who are going to South Korea next semester.

“I think he’s a nice guy. He’s polite, intelligent and kind. SDSU is lucky to have him,” said Romereim-Holmes about Hwang.

After learning English in school, Hwang, 44, majored in English during his college years and now hopes to experience the hands-on side of American culture -from going to football games to observing the traditions and customs of Americans.

Living in one of the campus guest apartments with his two children has been Hwang’s biggest challenge thus far.

“Before I came over here, I was very scared because I have to take care of my children without my wife and I have to do my projects,” Hwang said.

Hwang’s wife, who is currently teaching in Tejung, will join him in December.

Arriving in America a little over a month ago, Hwang has already noticed a difference between the students in South Korea and the students in South Dakota.

“The students in Tejung do not even step on their teacher’s shadow,” he said. “Whenever they see their teachers, they stand up and bow. “