Knitting and crocheting give students a hobby, affordable gifts

Carrie Feistner

Carrie Feistner

The smile on her grandmother’s face was all the thanks she needed.

With some pink yarn she had left over, Senior Nicolle Wiekamp had crocheted a blanket for her grandmother who could no longer crochet herself.

“She used to crochet her grandkids blankets but she got really bad arthritis and can no longer do it,” she says. “I made her a blanket and showed it to her. She said it was so pretty and I told her that the blanket was for her. Just the look on her face was worth all the hours that I put into it.”

Wiekamp learned to crochet as a freshman at University of North Dakota because she wanted something to do. It took her two weeks to learn how to crochet consistently.

“Crocheting looks easy but it is really time consuming,” she says. “I made a blanket that was about six feet by eight feet and it took me eight straight days of working at least eight hours a day on it.”

She continues to crochet because she can make things for others and because not many people know how to do needlework.

“I just like the idea of being semi-crafty,” she says. “I like making things to give to friends. It is a personal touch to a gift.”

Wiekamp is currently working on her ninth blanket and has made over 15 scarves. She has not sold anything yet, but has been asked to make items.

Freshman Nicole Gapp knits because she enjoys making gifts for others as well.

“It’s fun and inexpensive. It makes cool gifts,” she says.

During the first weekend of school, Gapp learned to knit from a girl who lives on her floor because she thought it would make good Christmas presents. She said learning was pretty easy for her.

“It’s really easy to learn. The hardest part was the first two lines, but it’s easy,” she said.

Gapp has made scarves and headbands so far, but plans to make a purse and blanket soon. She enjoys knitting because it’s a good stress reliever.

“It’s really relaxing for when you’re stressed out,” she says. “It takes your mind off other things.”

Freshman Marisa Bernhard lives on the same floor and taught Gapp and others how to knit. She learned this past summer from a friend, and said it was easy to teach others.

“The whole floor caught on after I started,” she says. “It’s easy to teach – they watch you do it and pick it up. It’s rewarding because they all appreciate it.”

Bernhard has made “mostly square items” like scarves and potholders. She continues to knit in her spare time for enjoyment.

“It’s relaxing, and it’s a cheap Christmas gift,” she says.

#1.885709:1989560041.jpg:knitting.jpg:Some SDSU students have taken up knitting as a hobby. Besides having something to do with their time, they can also hand make gifts for birthdays and holidays.:Jerry Smith