New management, fresh start for KSDJ

Tara Halbritter

Tara Halbritter

Jay Buchholz has looked past last semester’s headlines and is ready to get KSDJ back on its feet.

The 25-year old senior was hired as KSDJ’s new station manager, replacing Ashley Allen. He applied for the position at KSDJ to “start a tradition of excellence.”

While attending high school in Mitchell, Buchholz made his radio debut working for KMIT and KOOL 98, both out of Mitchell. After graduating from high school he made the decision to attend Mitchell Technical Institute. It was there that he earned an associate degree in satellite communications.

Upon receiving his degree, Buchholz moved to the East Coast. He landed jobs broadcasting live events for a few major networks. Before long, Buchholz found himself on the path to a successful career. However, he discovered that he missed South Dakota and chose to move back home.

When Buchholz made the move back, he set his sights on SDSU to further his education. “I orginally came here to get my engineering degree,” said Buchholz. But eventually he turned the dial and switched his major to media production with a minor in broadcasting.

Now a senior, Buchholz knows he made the right decision in coming to Brookings. “I call Brookings home,” said Buchholz.

Since being hired on as KSDJ’s new station manager, Buchholz has been very busy, because he has big plans for the station. He said the basic format won’t change much, but he wants KSDJ to become more student-oriented in basically every aspect.

Buchholz says the station won’t sound as “sleek” as it has in the past. He wants students to learn first-hand how to manage and use all of the sound equipment and controls.

Another change Buchholz has made is he has added new music. He says they finally learned how to update the system.

He has organized meetings in the basement of Mathews Hall for students interested in working for the radio station. As of last Wednesday, he was trying to fill staff positions such as news director and creative services director, as well as find DJs.

At the meetings, students were told what to expect and how to excel in a career in broadcasting. Buchholz also invited guest speakers to attend the meetings. Speakers last week were Bryan Waltz, program director of K-Country 102.3, and Cami Powers, general manager of Brookings Radio.

“We’re giving you tools for the future,” Buchholz said at the meeting. He stressed that he wants students to get a good start in radio. Most students in attendance would probably agree that he sounds more like an instructor than a student.

Being station manager will help Buchholz get a step up in his career.

“Jay’s pretty much guaranteed a job after he graduates,” said Powers.

The senior plans to graduate in December, but most likely will say goodbye to KSDJ in May.

“I don’t expect to be here for long,” Buchholz said. “I just want to get things running again.”

Buchholz plans to train a student to replace him after he leaves, which will be hired by the Media Council sometime this spring.

KSDJ is currently located in the basement of Mathews Hall and will return to its original location, in the basement of the University Student Union, next fall when construction is completed.

#1.885489:1573654616.jpg:ksdjjayportrait.jpg:As KSDJ´s new station manager, Jay Buchholz plans to gain experience and give students tools for the future.: