Students dance for CMN

Crystal Hohenthaner

Crystal Hohenthaner

The Fourth Annual Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) Dance Marathon was held on Saturday, Feb. 5, at the Old Sanctuary on the corner of Fourth St. and Medary in Brookings.

The University Program Council coordinates the dance-a-thon to raise money for CMN, an international network that helps injured, sick and disabled children. The UPC organized the event with the local chapter of the CMN and the Sioux Valley Children’s Hospital (SVCH).

Eleven families involved with the organization participated in the event.

The event was held from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., and the group played games and participated in many fun activities. The packed schedule included ice-skating, dancing, music and attending the SDSU men’s basketball game. All participants were given a free T-shirt, commemorating the event.

The theme for the event this year was “Olympics.” The kids were grouped with students and they played “morale games.”

Jesse Wolfe, the social awareness coordinator for the UPC, said the goal was to raise $15,000 this year.

At the end of the day, the total amount of money raised was over $10,000, but more contributions are expected to be made.

“We will be having more money come in over the rest of the semester, and we’ll know the actual amount raised then,” Wolfe said.

Amy Sumner, the regional CMN director, said the money donated to CMN can be used to help families travel to see doctors, for lodging while seeking treatment and for SVCH to purchase life-saving medical equipment and supplies.

“Our funds directly help the sick and injured children in many ways,” Sumner said.

Spencer Collins is a fifth grader from Sioux Falls who was chosen by CMN to come to the event. He and his family attended the festivities last year as well.

Spencer’s mother, Kristin Collins, said Spencer suffers from cerebral palsy and ADHD.

“CMN sponsors Spencer’s trips to Camp Courage, a summer camp for kids with disorders,” Collins said. “He gets to be normal for a week.”

Joe Collins, Spencer’s father, said the students who take part in the event, “don’t realize what a big impact it has.”

Josh Clark, a sophomore biology major, participated in the project along with other members of his fraternity, Delta Chi. This was his second year being involved with the marathon.

“It was fun last year, and it’s a good way to get involved at the school,” Clark said.

Several local businesses helped to make the event possible. SDSU Dining Services donated food for the event, the Brookings Ice Arena donated three hours of free skate time and SDSU gave 300 tickets for the SDSU men’s basketball game against Upper Iowa. Other businesses that made donations included Subway, Papa John’s, Papa Murphy’s and Coca-Cola.

Top individual money-raisers were Matt Anderson, Melissa Bonander and Tonya Hohenthaner. Leading Greek money raisers were Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega and Delta Chi.

#1.885412:3806662157.jpg:miracledance.jpg:Several students participated in the CMN Dance Marathon fundraiser. Juniors Carrie Siepker (right) and Jennifer Hansen (left) played “morale games” at the event.: