USD sinks SDSU

SDSU’s final home meet on Jan. 28 produced season-best times for a number of swimmers.

The Jackrabbits’ sweep of the relay competitions was not enough to overcome USD. The Coyotes won the women’s competition 120 to 85 and defeated the men 123 to 88.

Mariah Pavlicek, Jane Tschetter, Chelsea Colborn and Heather Youngberg won the women’s 400-yard medley relay with a time of 4 minutes, 17.28 seconds. While Colborn, Kaye Strohbehn, Samantha Reilly and Tschetter finished first with a time of 4:02.52 in the women’s 400-yard freestyle relay.

The men’s relay teams produced season-best times with both of their winning relays. Adam Pick, Brandon Maydew, Wayne Schafer and Jake Berg combined for a time of 3:43.51 in the 400 medley relay. And Ty Nordtvedt, Mitch Heusinkvelt, Schafer and Berg finished with a winning time of 3:20.71 in the 400 freestyle relay.

Pavlicek won the women’s 200-yard individual medley with a season-best time of 2:18.14 and finished second in the women’s 100-yard freestyle in a time of 56.79.

Kim Iverson, a freshman, won the women’s 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:47.32, a season best.

Junior Rachel Stenzel finished third in both the 1-and 3-meter diving. Stenzel’s finishes were season-best performances of 300.23 and 205.58 points, respectively.

Freshman Brandon Maydew produced two season-best times by winning the men’s 200 breaststroke in a time of 2:21.59 and finishing second in the men’s 100 freestyle in 50.18.

Nordtvedt, a freshman, finished third in the men’s 200-yard butterfly with a season-best time of 2:08.63.

Freshman Justin Manning finished first in the men’s 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:49.52. Manning also won the men’s 500-yard freestyle in 5:05.75.

“At this point in the season, with harder training, we are tired. If we can do this well tired, it’s a very encouraging sign for the final part of the season competition when practices are less intense,” said head coach Brad Erickson.

The team competes again Feb. 4-5 at the Minnesota Challenge in Minneapolis, Minn.