Union job fair presents opportunity

Tara Halbritter

Tara Halbritter

Free pizza and pop was the incentive for people to show up, but a number of students walked away with much more.

After being forced to cut the staff almost in half last year, many organizations with offices in the University Student Union were looking for employees for the upcoming school year.

Kayte Peters, graduate assistant and supervisor of Info Exchange and Outback Jacks, said the job fair was beneficial for both those looking to hire and those seeking employment.

“This is the first year we’ve had the idea,” Peters said, who described the crowd as “steady” throughout the event.

Positions available in the union include Info Exchange attendant, technical assistant, Outback Jacks attendant and union manager and many more. Peters said that the pay for these jobs is about the same across the board, with the exception of the union manager position.

Sophomore nursing major Aliza Arens was one of the many who applied for a USU job, with the hopes of working at Outback Jacks or Info Exchange. Arens said that she’s looking for a job for next year and thinks the union would be flexible when it comes to her class schedule.

Other stations at the job fair included TRiO Student Support Services, Upward Bound, SDSU Dining Services, Collegian and KSDJ.

#1.885099:3849163049.jpg:jobfair.jpg:Several students attended the University Student Union job fair late last week. Employers at the fair included SDSU Dining Services, KSDJ, TRiO Student Support Services and Upward Bound. :