Students reach out to Brookings community

Shayla Waugh

Shayla Waugh

Seventy tickets were sold for a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser on Tuesday, Sept. 27.

The event was a combined effort by the 10 student organizations in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.

Jessica Smit, fundraising chairperson, said the College of FCS wanted to help with raising money for the SDSU Habitat for Humanity House. She said several fundraising ideas were discussed last spring. The bowling fundraiser was chosen because it would be a fun evening for those involved.

“I felt it was a great night. Everyone who came had a lot of fun, and it was a good way to have students interacting with each other outside of classes and meetings,” said Smit.

Proceeds for the evening were raised through ticket sales, which were sold for $10 each. Half of the fee went to the fundraiser. Faculty members from the College of FCS were invited to participate in the fundraiser by bringing in baskets or items for a silent auction. A 50/50 raffle was held, where half of the money raised went to the winner, and half to the fundraiser. Homemade pizza was also sold for $2 a slice. In the weeks before the fundraiser, the FCS student organizations were challenged to go to Brookings businesses and gather $50 per club in donations. Smit said the organizations did a great job in gathering funds.

Smit said about 70 tickets were sold for the fundraiser either in advance or at the door.

Laurie Nichols, dean of the College of FCS, said the fundraiser raised a total of $1,060.50. A check for that amount was presented to the Habitat for Humanity on Friday, Oct. 14.

“We couldn’t have had the success we did without the help of the Brookings businesses that donated money and silent auction goods, the faculty that donated silent auction items and the students that came in support of Habitat for Humanity,” said Smit. “Most importantly, we greatly appreciate everything the Prairie Lanes bowling alley did to make the night a success. They are wonderful people, easy to work with, and are extremely supportive, which made this event a great experience.”