Regent voters say yes to new rec center at SDSU

Brian Kimmes

Brian Kimmes

The proposed wellness center expansion has passed the first of its three hurdles of approval.

On Dec. 15, Students’ Association President Ryan Brunner presented the Board of Regents’ wellness center expansion plan, along with the nearly 2,800 student signatures the Student Association collected in support of the plan. The BOR approved the facility plan for the wellness center. The plan now awaits legislative approval.

Getting legislative approval is hurdle number two. The wellness center plan is presently working its way through the House of Representatives. The plan is House Bill 1011, which has passed the House Appropriations Committee, 9-0. The bill was scheduled to be debated and voted on by the full house on Tuesday.

If the bill passes the House, it will then need approval by the Senate. The bill will need to go through a Senate Appropriations Committee and then voted on by the full Senate. The Senate will most likely look at the bill in the upcoming weeks.

Finally, Gov. Mike Rounds will need to sign the bill.

After the bill has made its way through the Legislature, the Students’ Association must go back to the Board of Regents to get final approval for the plan, which will appropriate the necessary money to build the expanded wellness center. Final approval by the Board of Regents is the third and final hurdle.

President Brunner feels the plan is making good progress.

“Plans are on track. If things continue as planned, construction will begin this summer.”

President Brunner and other senators are working to make sure the plan gets approved on schedule and that construction can begin this summer. Brunner said, “At the beginning of the legislative session, six of us [members of the SA Senate] went out to Pierre to talk to the Legislature about their concerns.”

Brunner said they have been lobbying legislators and promoting their cause to interest groups.

If everything goes according to plan, the wellness center program plan will be approved at the Board of Regents March meeting and it will be official that the expanded wellness center and student fee increase will take place.

* Issue is slated to come before the House of Representitives on Tuesday, Jan. 24.

Rec center details

? Walking track to replace the current track around Frost Arena.

? Cardiovascular workout area equipped with treadmills, rowing machines and other exercise equipment.

? Weight room equipped with free weights and strength-training equipment.

? Multipurpose recreation courts for basketball, volleyball and other sports.

? Climbing wall for recreational climbing.

? Lockers and showers for men and women.

? Offices for administration, trainers, employees and reception workers.

? Support spaces that include custodial areas, restrooms, an elevator and storage space.

? Racquetball/handball courts would be optional.

? Student health and counseling areas with nurse and doctor offices pharmacy, infirmary, lab, examination rooms and nurses station.

? Varsity women’s locker rooms and showers for swimming, basketball and volleyball teams.