Club develops new course

Denise Watt

Denise Watt

Disc golf is growing in popularity across the nation, and SDSU now has a place for those who love the game.

A nine-hole, par-27 disc golf course has opened for play, located next to the intramural fields and across the street from the Performing Arts Center.

“It’s not a hard course,” said course designer Matthew James, the landscape architecture club adviser and campus planner. “I wanted to be sure it was a course that everybody could play and enjoy it.”

To play the game, players throw plastic discs into metal baskets. Disc golf resembles regular golf, with course hazards and penalties.

“It’s a great college activity,” said James, because students can play for a half hour or so in between classes.

Proposed by the landscape architecture club, the project received funding from the Students’ Association. Physical Plant staff helped with course construction, and the Intramural Office will offer the sport as an option this fall.

While players can use regular Frisbees, disc golf discs can be purchased at the Sports Connection, located on Main Avenue, or rented at Outback Jack’s, James said. The bookstore will offer them in the future as well, according to staff.

Players should park in designated parking lots, and pick up any trash on the course.

“It’s the students’ course and they need to take care of it and respect it,” James said.

#1.884417:2800179967.jpg:AerialHoles.jpg:Matthew James, the landscape architecture club adviser, designed this nine-hole, par-27 disc golf course just south of SDSU’s the main east entrance. :