Flight program must mature

Editoral Board

Editoral Board

At issue:

Aviation program severs ties with Big Sioux Aviation.

Our view:

It’s a good move in the long run, but an inconvenience to students now.

It’s over. SDSU Aviation and Big Sioux Aviation are done working with each other (AVIATION, A1). A “clean break,” said Jeff Boulware, the program’s head.

But how clean was it?

It’s the right of the flight program to cut ties, even if there are still concerns about whether it didn’t give Big Sioux enough time to get used to the end of the relationship.

It was the right thing to do. The program keeps growing. If SDSU wants to compete with nationally-known university flight schools, it needs to spread its own wings.

The addition of a new flight-simulator is a big boost to the program. So is gaining control of training curriculum and scheduling.

Going it alone is the right thing to do for students, hands down.

But it was a strange, screeching halt to a long relationship with a local business.

Sure, there were problems. But if the aviation program wants the responsibility of its own flight school, it must prove it is mature.

That starts at the top. There’s no reason for surprise notices or surprise meetings.

Moving students into a class to keep their financial aid was a smart move. But students should not have to put their education on hold. Even for a few weeks, no matter what the reason. We don’t have time to waste.

SDSU Aviation has yet to show why the break with Big Sioux happened now and not earlier in the summer. No, it’s not in the middle of the semester. But if it’s during the school year, it’s a bad time. Tell students why.

It seems both sides want to work with students. It appears Big Sioux Aviation wasn’t doing as well as it could.

But if SDSU Aviation wants to represent our heritage of free spirits and independent choices, it must also act maturely.

It’s the one quality that steadies us when times get tough.