Student awarded for volunteer work with Brookings Community Theatre

Julie Frank

Julie Frank

One SDSU student has been recognized for her involvement in the Brookings community.

Pharmacy major Stacy DeVille received an award from SDSU’s Service Learning program.

Service Learning is a part of the Office for Diversity Enhancement. According to the program’s Web site, students perform services and reach educational objectives by combining community and academic studies.

At the end of the year, awards are given to a student, faculty member and local organization for their contribution to the program.

“The awards recognize significant learning on the part of students, faculty and organizations,” said Dianne Nagy, Service Learning coordinator.

Recipients are chosen from nominations accepted in the fall, and are awarded at a ceremony held in December. Winners receive a plaque and $100.

Service Learning projects are developed by SDSU faculty and local organizations. The projects meet community-identified needs, advance students’ understanding of specific course content and promote civic engagement.

DeVille was introduced to Service Learning through her Early Practice Experience class. As part of the course, students were required to perform volunteer work for a variety of Brookings organizations and compose a paper about their experience.

Involved in her high-school theater, DeVille choose to spend her time with Brookings’ Community Theatre. She helped the organization by hanging posters, painting sets, transporting props and helping destruct sets. In return for her eight to ten hours of volunteer work, DeVille received the Outstanding Student Contribution to Service Learning award.

Two additional awards were given out to a faculty member and a community organization.

Maria Ramos received the Outstanding Faculty Contribution award for developing a service learning course that provided English tutoring for immigrant workers by Spanish students and focused on immigration topics in the classroom.

The Community Partner Contribution was awarded to the United Retirement Center for performing Service Learning projects with SDSU faculty and students.

DeVille strongly encourages students to take part in Service Learning.

“It allowed me to get to know the outside community and made me aware of it,” she said, adding that students often forget about the community that surrounds the SDSU campus. DeVille said if the opportunity arises, she would like to continue volunteer work in the community.

For more information on Service Learning, or how to get involved, contact Nagy at

688-6361.

#1.883856:4180164369.jpg:bctheatresets01.jpg:Stacy DeVille worked on sets for “On Golden Pond,” performed by the Brookings Community Theatre actors in November 2006.: