Cottonwood expands to bistro

Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

Cottonwood Coffee plans to expand its business by opening in a second location closer to campus.

Owners Jacob Limmer and Sarah Trone are working to open a “Cottonwood Bistro” in the Brickwood Plaza on Sixth Street.

“It will be more like a bistro with the same quality coffee as Cottonwood,” Limmer said.

The new place will serve homemade soups, bread and sandwiches. Limmer also plans to have salads with fresh vegetables from his organic farm.

“We plan to serve more breakfast and evening food. There’s a possibility for beer and wine too,” Limmer said.

Limmer said he always intended on expanding on the east side of town. “We worked with a real estate broker and had good timing for buying a new business,” he said.

Limmer refuses to cater to just one group of people. “If you do that then you neglect other people,” he said. “I’m not going to cater to just the business or college crowds.”

Student response has been positive. Both Staci Duffy, a sophomore HPER and secondary education major, and Amy Elbers, a sophomore human development major, said having a Cottonwood on the east side of town is a good idea.

Limmer also said the new Cottonwood will be open the same hours if not longer than the one downtown. “I have some high standards,” he said. “I hope everything works out great, but I don’t know exactly what’s going to happen.”