TRiO helps students succeed

Katrina Sargent

Katrina Sargent

Students can receive help with studies and college life through two TRiO programs.

The programs are Upward Bound and Student Support Services. According to the TRiO Web site, “These programs are designed to motivate and support students form disadvantaged backgrounds as they progress from high school through post secondary education.” The students in these groups include those from low-income families, first generation college students or students with disabilities.

“The TRiO programs are designed to increase the number of students from our specific populations who have access to higher education succeed from semester to semester to graduate from SDSU,” said Jeff Vostad, the program director of TRiO Student Support Services.

TRiO Student Support Service offers programs like individualized academic guidance; financial, career, and social support; English, math and science tutoring, connections to other on-campus support services, priority registration and scholarship opportunities.

“TRiO services have proven to significantly increase students’ chances of success at SDSU,” Vostad said. TRiO is meant to help students in their transition into college and give them support with any issues that may develop.

The TRiO Student Support Services Web site has tips for a number of classes, and tips for skills such as memorization and note taking. There are also suggestions for coping with test anxiety, preventing procrastination, improving writing skills, managing time, reading textbooks and managing stress.

The Student Support Services also offers a peer mentorship program which “pairs experienced TRiO students with incoming TRiO participants to develop a positive peer relationship,” according to their Web site.

Upward Bound is the other program offered by TRiO at SDSU. The mission of Upward Bound “is to provide assistance to first generation college bound students and students of low-income families who have demonstrated an academic need,” according to the program’s pamphlet.

The program begins with high school students, giving them opportunities to prepare for college through tutoring, mentoring, cultural enrichment and tours of colleges.

In order to be eligible, students must be committed to attending a six-week summer academy and meet family income guidelines. The student must also have the potential to become a first generation college student. Participants are required to take part in programs and activities such as monthly workshops and tours. Only students from certain schools in Flandreau and Sioux Falls are eligible. For more information regarding eligibility, visit the Upward Bound Web site.

The TRiO services are all located in the Wintrode Student Success Center on the corner of 11th Avenue and 8th Street.

The Wintrode Student Success Center also includes helpful programs like the Office of Disability Services and the Writing Center, said Vostad.

More information about these programs can be found at www.sdstate.edu/StudentLife/TRIOPrograms, or by visiting the Wintrode Student Success Center.