Recycling program spreads across campus

Amy Poppinga

Amy Poppinga

On Sept. 25, the newly expanded recycling program resumed in residence halls and around the SDSU campus, making recycling more available and convenient than in previous years.

According to Andrew Natzel, the Campus Recycling Coordinator and a senior civil engineering student, the amount of recycling containers doubled from just over 50 containers to more than 100 from last year to this year.

These containers are also more accessible. Currently, a container for cans and bottles can be found on each side of every floor, and a container for paper is in the lobbies of the Brown, Caldwell, Hansen, Pierson and Waneta residence halls. In Bailey and Berg Halls and the Larson Complex, the paper containers are in the lobbies as well, but the can and bottle containers are located in the laundry rooms. As of Monday, Mathews Hall has the most containers, with a container for cans and bottles and a container for paper on each side of every floor.

On Oct. 9 or earlier, the rest of the new containers will arrive, and the current containers that are located on the floors will be used for paper, while the new containers will be used for cans and bottles. Signs will be posted by the containers to clearly indicate this change and to also inform residents about what can be recycled.

Along with an expanded presence in the residence halls, Natzel said the recycling program will be extended to include the Crothers Engineering Hall sometime this month and hopefully The Union sometime this year. The recycling program is working with the administration to expand to more buildings across campus in the future.

Kim Elsen, the senior resident assistant of Pierson, is optimistic and excited about the larger presence of recycling on campus. “I hope we get a really good recycling program on campus,” she said. “When we (SDSU students) have it, we are good about recycling. On my floor, we only had the recycling container for three days before it was already full.” She also said that when she was a freshman, there was no recycling program, and people actually complained about not having the opportunity to recycle.

Another change in the recycling program is how the recyclables will be collected. Last year, the Students’ Association found the volunteers to take the recyclables from the residence halls. This year, hall governments and hall volunteers will be taking charge of the process, with some volunteers receiving prizes. Interested students can sign-up to volunteer at the official Web site, www.jacksrecycling.com.

Natzel hopes that many students get involved just like he did. “I was surprised at the lack of recycling facilities at SDSU,” he said. “I wanted to improve that for the benefit of the environment and also for the environmental awareness that recycling brings.”

Michael Kervin, the director of Residential Life, agrees. “I feel everyone should recycle as well as reduce the waste in this country,” he said. “It isn’t just the students who need to do it. However, students can lead the way for their families, community and others.”