First shutout since 2003

Chris Mangan

Chris Mangan

If the game against Texas State was the most complete game by a John Stiegelmeier coached team, this one topped it.

“It just seemed like we did play a pretty complete game as a team today,” senior quarterback Ryan Berry said.

After a dominating performance last week against Texas State, the Jacks (2-3, 0-0 GWFC) responded with a 45-0 victory against Stephen F. Austin in front of 15,338 people on the 94th annual Hobo Day game.

“[They] totally outplayed us,” SFA head coach J.C. Harper said. “They play hard and fast and executed what the coaches ask them to do. South Dakota State just totally outplayed our football team.”

In the game, Senior kicker Parker Douglass set three school records. He broke his own school record with a 57-yard field goal early in the third quarter. On the same field goal he set another school record for consecutive field goals made at 12. Later in the game he broke the record for extra-points made that was previously held by Brett Gorden.

“It felt real good,” Douglass said of his record-breaking 57-yard field goal, “and soon as I looked up it was going straight and I didn’t even need to watch it go through.”

The Jacks dominated in every facet of the game. For the second week in a row, they held a Division I team without a touchdown-their first ever shutout against a D-I team and first shutout since the 2003 home opener-and recorded a victory of more than 30 points, the first time since 1974, and they have done it for two straight weeks. In the past two games the Jacks have outscored their opponent 83-3.

The Jacks were never threatened thanks to their offense keeping the pedal to the floor and the defense picking off five passes-one off the school record-and returning two of them for touchdowns. SFA did not reach the red zone on any of its 14 possessions and were held to just 82 yards of total offense in the first half.

The Jacks had more yards on interception returns than the Lumberjacks had passing the entire game.

The Lumberjacks used a two-man rotation at quarterback using senior Danny Southall and freshman Jeremy Claybon to complete 18 passes for 110 yards.

The Jacks had 132 yards on their interception returns, the bulk coming on the touchdown scores from sophomore linebacker Jimmy Rogers and freshman safety Conrad Kjerstad.

“All I was thinking was don’t get caught,” Rogers said of his touchdown.

Berry completed passes to 10 different receivers. For the third straight week, Berry and junior wide receiver JaRon Harris hooked up for a long touchdown, this time a 52-yard reception. The game marked the return of sophomore wide receiver Mike Steffen, who caught his first pass midway through the second quarter.

The Jacks return to action next week when they go on the road to face Georgia Southern University.

“We’ve always known they are a good football team,” Berry said. “We kinda owe them one for the last couple times they have gotten us, so we are going to be ready to go down there.”